Wizardry

By expectopatronum bitch! - 25/04/2023 13:00 - United States

Today, my brother-in-law brought his new girlfriend over to meet the family. Things went south real quick after she went on a tirade about what terrible parents my wife and I are for letting our kids keep all their Harry Potter memorabilia. Now he’s mad I threw her out. FML
I agree, your life sucks 823
You deserved it 130

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Great job standing your ground. No one is gonna be disrespectful and judgemental in front my family and get away with it.

I'll bet she's a ******' Slytherin. She can shove a Nimbus 2000 where the sun don't shine!

Comments

I'll bet she's a ******' Slytherin. She can shove a Nimbus 2000 where the sun don't shine!

Great job standing your ground. No one is gonna be disrespectful and judgemental in front my family and get away with it.

I can (somewhat) understand complaints about buying new stuff, but throwing out stuff they already own is ridiculous. Going on a tirade however, is just rude.

Sara Niemantsverdriet 12

Uh... Why? It's not her house, and they're not her kids. It's got nothing to do with her whatsover!

Cause you shouldn't be giving money to awful people who claim that the fact that people still give them money is proof that everyone is fine with them being awful.

ODBeefalo 10

This is a bit of a weird issue people have. I mean, I get the hatred and dislike, but how many Hollywood celebrities have been in the news (usually for kiddie diddling) and we hear "separate the art from the artisit". the point here is either we stop consuming anything from Hollywood or we don't. she's a talented writer, but has shitty views. If we follow the logic as rules, we can watch things by like 3 or 4 people... upside is Keanu is one of those people so IDK. we just need to know where the line is supposed to be drawn, because it can't be at transphobes and not pedos. Coming from a non Trans LGBT+ member myself.

Separating the art from the artist is all well and good for some academic exercises, but the reality of the situation with Rowling is that at least some portion of the money you spend on HP merch and ends up in her pockets will go towards viciously anti-trans causes and organizations - And I'm not comfortable with any action I've taken helping to fund that - Especially in the very direct through-line that is there with her. Watching/reading her stuff boosts numbers for her and keeps her as a relevant pop-culture figure - Which she (and her even more transphobic/homophobic/etc. friends and allies) uses to promote her awful beliefs and try to convince others that since she's so popular, people must agree with all her abhorrent opinions. So, yeah, again, definitely don't want to give her any more clout (however minuscule my individual contribution would be - But that's how aggregate stuff works). Finally, I'm well aware that there's no truly ethical consumption under capitalism, and that many of the things I buy or services I use directly fund awful things in the world. And yeah, I could probably do some good by not purchasing them - It's not even always a matter of need, but preference and comfort. And I guess, when they get to be as uncomfortable for me as the idea of my money going to Rowling, I'll be forced to confront myself on that. So, yeah, I'm not a perfect being, nobody is. But one of the ways I've chosen to theoretically make the world less-bad is not giving any money to someone who is clearly a bigot and actively making things worse for a minority that already has a pretty rough go of it.

Rowling is an absolutely terrible person, and I can see not wanting to support her in any way, but you've got to pick your battles with stuff like this. Coming off as a screeching asshole-out-of-nowhere yourself only alienates people who have no idea what's going on and makes *you* look like a crazy person. And if they already know/have heard about Rowling's awfulness and don't care enough to stop buying Potter stuff, some random new (to them) person isn't likely to convince them that boycotting her work and merch is the right thing to do.

Everything you wrote is correct, but your views on JKR. But as you said I won’t change what you’re thinking. :D

Call me petty, if you must. But proudly becoming one of the most prominent faces of a hate movement is something I just can't let slide, y'know?