By dino0123 - 12/12/2012 17:51 - United States - Herndon

Today, my very cheap boyfriend of four years proposed. I was overwhelmed with emotion, since he bought such a huge, seemingly-diamond ring. I was later overwhelmed with emotion when my finger turned green. FML
I agree, your life sucks 32 445
You deserved it 4 498

Same thing different taste

Top comments

kleider1 9

he might have actually saved up for it and gotten ripped off.

cablemirc 2

your cheap boyfriend is just that, cheap. and you know it, so take it or leave it, he is who he is. did you really expect extravagance?

Comments

Your finger turned green and there was the scent of cocoa in the air, you then realized he bought you a Ring Pop. Hey, you stuck wiht him for four years so he must have so redeeming qualities. Talk to him about it and work something out and enjoy the Ring Pop in the mean time

Well he could have gotten something small, tastefull and still at a reasonable price and made tge thought count. Instead he got you something big, tasteless and potentialy harmfull. You'd think that he knows after 4 years that you know he's cheap so why does he try to fool you? Well, some of us men are idiots I suppose...

Mackay92 14

People like you piss me off put up or shut up and stop bitching

Maybe it was wrong of him, trying to trick you with a ring that turned out to be false. But as many has said, it's the thought that counts. Apparently he want's to marry you, and maybe (if you in some way acted so that he know that you think he's cheap) he felt some kind of pressure to impress you. I'm not trying to make the lie okay, but there might be another point of view on this story?

"It's the thought that counts" If he bought her a cheapass ring and then lied to her face about it being genuine, then how does the thought counts? This probably wouldn't have been an FML if he had been honest about not being able to afford a fancy ring but he wanted to marry her anyway.

CharresBarkrey 15

He must not think very highly of her if it's the thought that counts.

You knew he was cheap, so what did you expect?

He could have bought a ring at a thrift store if he really didn't wanna spend a lot of money. You can find real jewelry once in a while in thrift stores. I don't think you should have been overwhelmed with joy over just the ring. I would have been overwhelmed to find my boyfriend wants to marry me than over the damn ring. I really don't like the materialistic attitude over marriage. I was 7 when my aunt in law told me to marry a man who "proposes to you with a real diamond or cubic zirconium. He's not worth it if he can't financially invest in you." I would rather marry a guy who bought what he could afford than a man who can give me the diamond ring. I want emotional investment as well. Or maybe that's just how I feel.

Just an interesting tidbit your comment reminded me of, the idea of spending three months salary on a diamond ring, or even using a diamond, was created by jewelers. If you pay attention to social movements, you can see them doing the same with promise rings. As for your sentiments, I agree. You can lose a diamond, pawn a ring, but it it's okay if you have someone who loves you.

sammyjanette 17

Why didn't he just go to Walmart? They're rings are really cheap, and they usually don't turn your fingers green.

CharresBarkrey 15

Walmart rings will turn your finger green.

My mother's rings haven't turned her fingers green but walmarts rings will chip and lose their diamonds.

Walmart sells fake jewelry for the price real jewelry would usually be. Never trust Walmart with that kind of stuff. They just want money.

Rings that make your fingers turn colors? Hot damn, give me 8 of each color!

When jewelry makes your body turn colors it means you're allergic to the metal.

so you knew he was cheap and the "diamond" was huge. how did you not suspect it was fake? Was it at least small enough to look realistic? if my cheap boyfriend gave me a big ring I'd get it appraised the next day.

I'm not sure I'd want to marry the type of woman who'd get her engagement ring appraised "just to make sure"

well if you're not cheap then don't worry about it

Everyone is calling OP shallow, and that's not fair. For ***** sake, it turned her finger green. That means its copper and extremely cheap. You can buy very cheap rings that are silver for a hundred or less. Not to mention OP and her family would probably pay for the wedding, and her boyfriend would only pay for a 30 dollar ring? **** that. I agree that its the thought that counts, I myself intend on telling the guy I want to marry that the diamonds don't have to be real. Screw thousand dollar rings, but when you propose to someone, they're thinking it's real and then they feel like they weren't worth the money to you when they find out it's fake. Maybe OP was overcome with emotion because her cheap boyfriend spent some money on her, and knowing what a miser he is, she was touched? Don't be so mean to OP. She got jipped.

I totally agree. On another thought. When my grandma passed away she gave me here wedding ring set and when I get married I intend to tell my guy that's the rings I want to use.