By Walker - 04/11/2009 20:00 - United Kingdom

Today, my parents, who are divorced, were arguing over who has to pay for my bus pass. They decided they wouldn't pay unless the other one did too. Neither will pay the £60 it'll cost for my bus pass. I now have to walk to school every day, in freezing winter weather. It's 9 miles. Each way. FML
I agree, your life sucks 48 429
You deserved it 4 108

Same thing different taste

Top comments

whatevaaaa 0

wow your parents suck..poor you! :( and that sucks that you have to walk 18 miles everyday...in cold weather :( FYL

1) It's snowing some places, so "winter weather" is not an unreasonable thing to say. 2) £60 is over 100 USD. Not necessarily that easy to come by, especially if... 3) OP may be a young kid with limited options. 4) Your parents totally suck. You could buy a pretty cheap bike and ride to school. And if you don't have the money, shovel snow (if there's snow) or do some silly jobs until you can afford a cheap solution.

Comments

1) It's snowing some places, so "winter weather" is not an unreasonable thing to say. 2) £60 is over 100 USD. Not necessarily that easy to come by, especially if... 3) OP may be a young kid with limited options. 4) Your parents totally suck. You could buy a pretty cheap bike and ride to school. And if you don't have the money, shovel snow (if there's snow) or do some silly jobs until you can afford a cheap solution.

Tamara2011 0

Due that really sucks i know somewhat a feeling like that yes deff make friends who can drive :) besides i would just ignore your parents what kind of parents are they if they cant even pay 60$ for a bus pass i mean if they actually cared about the situation i know jobs arent easy and odd jobs come on people thats how people get raped and killed by helping people they dont know! fyl

Was it really necessary to point out that it's 9 miles *both* ways? I would have thought that would be obvious.

That sucks for you, it seems logical that your parents just go halves, no? Also, OP may be under 16, meaning it is impossible to get a job and therefore pay themselves. Even if they aren't, the current economic state makes it near impossible to get a job. And to the person who said 'FAKE' because it's apparently not even winter yet, well today was fricking freezing. Nine miles! Jesus.

It's not "impossible" to get a job under 16. You can get a job on the till or cleaning (for example in McDonald's) when you're 14. Or you could get a paper round or something.

Assuming the poster is in the UK (they used pounds, not dollars) I'm under the impression they have to apply for a working permit in their area if they're under 16 - which takes time and could easily be denied. Also, the poster could easily be under 13, in which case it's not legal for them to work, but even if they're not, there may have a deadline by when the bus pass needs to be ordered - many districts work that way.

boatkicker 4

I would like to inform you that 19 did not say that it was "impossible" they said "near impossible." Which I will agree with. Although I've got (very) minimal knowledge of the current economic state of the UK, I do know that they're also in a recession. Which makes getting a job pretty difficult. And its also pretty difficult to get any job when you're a teenager. I have been looking for a job since I was 16. Actively looking. Applying to places (between 2 and 20 places a week), and interviewing on occasion. I am 19 this month. I still don't have a job. I'm going out on a limb here and saying OP is a teenager, so yes, it is probably 'near impossible' for them to find a job.

No, not in the UK. You cannot work in a professional environment until the age of 16, with VERY occasional exceptions which usually breach the law.

As she's nine miles away from her school, maybe she's in a very isolated place and there isn't anywhere nearby she could work? It happens. I used to live somewhere there wasn't even a shop for 4 miles.

How the hell is she supposed to get to the job anyway if her parents can't even seem to get their shit straight for something as important as SCHOOL? You really think they'd be like, "oh, sure, have 60 quids to take the bus to work!"

FozzieGirl 0

Get some advice from your head teacher or head of year on how to get a free bus pass, on account of the fact that you live more than three miles from school. I'm surprised you haven't had a free bus pass before, actually. If you're in Sixth Form, you may also be entitled to an Educational Maintenance Allowance. Again talk to your head of year or form tutor. I don't actually believe this

You have to walk 9 miles to school? That's ridiculous, I don't believe that you could have such malicious parents. Walking at an average pace, that'll take you about 2 hours and 20 minutes.

Ah suck it up and pay for it yourself. Or wear warmer clothes. I'm Canadian and that's what I do.

That would be over $120 Canadian, which is a LOT of money for a kid in school to pay. Plus even wearing warm clothes can be a hassle since you heat up as you walk, eventually getting too warm for the coat but not warm enough to take it off. Plus walking 9 miles each way? thats about 14.5 km each way. That sucks even in nice weather.

Quit going to school until they cough up a bus pass.

Erindub 0

I say protest it...don't go to school till they figure it out amongst themselves.