By computergeek - 26/01/2010 21:25 - United States

Today, my parents got me a new computer for my birthday. They also took the liberty of throwing out my old computer, with 8 years of photos, videos, music, documents, emails, and bookmarks on it. But that's okay, I had a backup. They threw that out too. FML
I agree, your life sucks 41 354
You deserved it 2 443

Same thing different taste

Top comments

why would they throw out your old computer?are they idiots? I don't think anyone is that stupid... I think this is either fake, or you have the STUPIDEST parents in the world. if this is real and you just have parents who have been living under a rock for the past 15 years, YLIF.

Comments

Punderous 0

my parents gave away my iPod touch and laptop when I got new ones before I could transfer anything, so I believe this FML is true. sad though. :(

who keeps the same computer for 8 years?

If you don't need a superfast processor and tons of RAM, old comps aren't bad. My 2nd comp was a 4-year-old handmedown, and I had it at least 8 years before I had to upgrade for school-related software. I also back most of my stuff up with one of those online backup services. OP should have invested in one.

um a lot of people wats the point of buying something when you have one and it works perfectly and his parents obviously don't know alot about computers so even though he lost a lot of things he must at least be happy to have a new sleek un grimy computer

They might not have kept the same computer for eight years, but had the files for that long. Besides, people who can't afford new computers every few years tend to hold onto the same one for a while.

not everyone has the funds to keep replacing luxury items.

Why would they do that? Are they stoners or drunks or just dumbasses? I hope you haven't inherited too much of their genetics. FYL Id go throw my parents computers out!

yeah.. cuz that's MATURE. How is that gonna fix anything? clearly you're a dumbass. Some parents just aren't up to date on stuff. They were obviously trying to do something nice.

Oh and I suppose calling me out is machure? So when youre mother called you to come to dinner were you like "HOLD ON MOM IM BUSY INSULTING SOME GIRL ON THE INTERNET OVER BEING MACHURE!" ?

Lee002 8
connorpwns93 0

it's spelt mature, not machure.

in addition to the mature thing, it's "your" and not "you're." insult fail.

And you don't inherit genetics. You inherit genes.

I'm a big girl.. who's mature.. I don't live with my parents thanks. How sad you tried to insult me and couldn't even copy the word correctly. Way to try and look cool on the Internet.. you fail.

shrdlu 28

I say this one's definitely possible -- I've even heard worse, like NASA and the Apollo 11 data. This seems as good a place as any to mention the importance of off-site backups. That's a fancy term that means: keep a recent backup at some other place too. Could be as simple as storing an occasional backup at a friend's place. What if everything you have gets stolen? Or worse, destroyed by fire, flood, or some other disaster? Yes, I believe this FML.

My flood plan: I'm on the second floor of a house that isn't in New Orleans. I don't need any more of a flood plan than that. My fire plan: 1) throw monitor out of the way. 2) yank cables out of eHDD. 3). Grab eHDD, run. My "other disaster" plan: another sort of disaster? In VA? Come on! I do not like offsite backups, unless it's a server that I personally am running... in which case, it'd be onsite, since I have no physical place to store a server offsite.

@#40- 'Other disasters': Virginia has thieves, yes? I mean, crime isn't totally unheard of there? 'Cuz if your eHDD is easy enough for you to grab in a fire, it's easy enough for a thief to grab and stuff into a bag. Virginia also has trees, I'm sure. HDD's are sturdy, but it's entirely plausible a falling tree would destroy the drive beyond use. Speaking of falling trees, you know what makes them fall? Storms. You know what else storms cause? Lightning. And (occasionally) tornadoes. Lightning doesn't look at your surge protectors and say, 'Aww, gee, better go elsewhere', and many surge procs won't handle a full lightning strike. Now, since flooding is not something you're concerned about, I'm guessing you live in the highlands. If you do not, (and only if you do not), you're an idiot; floods can happen in any state, as long as you're in low enough lands, especially near lakes and rivers. Virginia has a lot of rivers, chiefly the James, the Potomac, and the Shenandoah... and those rivers have tributaries and so on and so forth so, unless you live on a decent hill surrounded by lowlands, don't discount the obvious.

Hahahahah! I love your smart-assery. A long comment I actually didn't mind reading! :D

#40... what about a swarm of locusts? They might eat your eHDD Or an asteroid impact? That would probably destroy your computer. Or what if an angry elephant escaped from the zoo and stampeded through your house and up your stairs and crushed your eHDD? Or a bunch of chimpanzees could escape with the elephant and easily take over your house and steal your eHDD? You absolutely MUST have a plan to deal with these, and all other, possible disasters.

@55: The eHDD is behind my 28" monitor, so unlikely a thief would notice it when all they really want to do is grab what they can (likely my MacBook Pro) and get out. I'll have to rely on my monitor to stop a tree :P And while it's true that I have my eHDD plugged into only a surge protector (which guarantees up to $5k of equipment btw, which indicates that they have at least _some_ faith in it), if something should blow out my eHDD, I still have my laptop's internal drive, which should remain unaffected since only the logic board (and maybe battery) should blow out.

Your life definitely does suck, this is the kind of thing where I have two hard drives, one portable and one that uses an outlet and I keep one drive hidden from other's in case of incidents like this.

perdix 29

Are you sure your stupid parents got you a computer, or an old-timey microwave with the dials 'n' shit? Stupid parents can't tell the difference.

RainbowPoof 2

I'm not saying this is fake or anything, but I couldn't see any of my relatives doing something like this (computer-illiterate as they are). Unless I had been whining about having all sorts of computer problems that couldn't be fixed and begging for a new one for a long time... And even then, they'd probably make sure I had everything I wanted from it, and THEN they'd check to see if there was anyone who wanted to take it apart or something.