Whiter shade of pale

By pinecones - 02/02/2015 14:25 - United Kingdom

Today, my coworker said that she suddenly got the shivers. I jokingly told her that it meant she must be being watched by a dead person and made stupid ghost noises. She then told me it was the anniversary of her dad's death and burst into tears. FML
I agree, your life sucks 36 704
You deserved it 14 838

Same thing different taste

Top comments

3051628 24

That's incredibly rough, but from the sound of it you couldn't have known OP. As long as it was an honest mistake, try not to be too hard on yourself.

No way you could have known, you were trying to bring levity to her situation. I hope an apology brought her back around.

Comments

3051628 24

That's incredibly rough, but from the sound of it you couldn't have known OP. As long as it was an honest mistake, try not to be too hard on yourself.

hugozac88 22

Hey you didn't mean to be an asshole

Too soon. Then again, it won't be funny later either.

That's incredibly inconvenient, that's an awkward situation for sure.

No way you could have known, you were trying to bring levity to her situation. I hope an apology brought her back around.

Goblin182 26

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

#7 OP didn't know her co-worker's father died, otherwise I'm sure she wouldn't have made the joke.

It's a common saying that if you shiver someone's walked over you grave. Whatever that means. But basically op was saying something that many people have said/joked about over the years. Not your fault Op, you couldn't have known. Just apologize, (as I'm sure you have) comfort her, and try and get her mind off of it maybe.

Keiajacole 16

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway
xninix_fml 36

The op isn't an asshole there's no way she could have known geez.

console her and help her throughout the day. losing a father is an awful thing.

ajs1987 15

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway
xninix_fml 36

Maybe to get the coworker to laugh? Since it was meant be a joke. Op you couldn't known :/. Just try and be there for her today, and sincerely apologize to her if you haven't, but I'm sure you probably have.

xninix_fml 36