By Anonymous - 22/07/2010 06:44 - United States

Today, my girlfriend's father sent me a text message that simply stated "You ruined my relationship with my daughter." I wanted to ask him for his blessing to marry his daughter. FML
I agree, your life sucks 38 016
You deserved it 3 397

Same thing different taste

Top comments

s89gtr89 0

:'( do it anyway. he's a jerk.

**** the old coot. Your marrying his daughter, not her father. And look at it this way, the worst thing you could do to him is marry his daughter, make her happy and completely ignore him. If he hates you that much then it will kill him to see you doing all that well. ;-)

Comments

birds_fml 7

Why the hell were you gonna ask for his permission? Your girlfriend is not his possession, nor will she become your possession once you marry her. The only person's permission you need is HERS. This is a tradition that needs to die out. So what, now that you know he doesn't approve, you won't marry her? Actually, she's better off without you! My ex-boyfriend asked my dad permission to propose to me, which I didn't find out until after he had proposed. That made me so mad. What if he had said no? In any case, that relationship didn't work out, because I viewed him as an equal, and he expected me to let him take care of me. Good riddance! Now I'm married to a man who DIDN'T ask my dad for permission, and we are in a marriage of equals.

It's not permission, it's blessing. It's a sign of respect, not that your dad owns you.

Kawaiichan42 3

I never really understood the point of asking for the father's permission/blessing. The only fathers who wouldn't give their blessing don't deserve the respect that their daughter's boyfriend is showing them by asking. I don't think my dad would give his blessing to anyone who wanted to marry me or my sisters, and it's because he doesn't understand that we're not seven years old anymore. He actually had the nerve to tell me to stop having sex, and got quite a shock when I told him no. >.< OP, if you love your girlfriend, and she loves you, you don't need her father's blessing. Modern women don't really seem to care much for this tradition anymore.

jrgr 6

Holy shit ignore the man. If you love her nothing should stop you. You only get one chance in life don't screw it up

construction04 0

dude i dident ask my wife dad if i could marry her we r getting devoice

uhhh.. so? if you really did ruin their relationship, they hate each other. because of that, it doesn't matter what her dad says.

That shouldn't stop you from asking her. If she is adamant about you getting his permission, talk to him and TELL him (not ask) that you are going to propose and would like to clear things before you ask her.

op I think he likes u in a different way and is asking for a relationship 

first off what dad sends texts to his duaghter's boyfriend? second of if I felt that way about my daughters boy friend I would have to balls to say something to his face and them threaten to shoot him.