By Anonymous - 22/07/2010 06:44 - United States

Today, my girlfriend's father sent me a text message that simply stated "You ruined my relationship with my daughter." I wanted to ask him for his blessing to marry his daughter. FML
I agree, your life sucks 38 016
You deserved it 3 397

Same thing different taste

Top comments

s89gtr89 0

:'( do it anyway. he's a jerk.

**** the old coot. Your marrying his daughter, not her father. And look at it this way, the worst thing you could do to him is marry his daughter, make her happy and completely ignore him. If he hates you that much then it will kill him to see you doing all that well. ;-)

Comments

Oscar_Wilde 0

Reading some of this stuff gives me some insight into why some people don't want to have kids. I mean if you support someone for 18 years, and they don't respect you, I would think it might just be because young people generally rebel. It's dumb to always blame the father. This guy was clearly a pansy (texting that, comon). Still, if my daughter wanted to marry someone that really sucks, I wouldn't be supportive of it. Younger people are generally rather short-sighted, though there are exceptions. Acting on emotions baselessly often have dire, real world consequences.

Young people are generally short sighted... but not all. I'ld like to think if people are raised properly to plan for the future there wouldn't be a problem..

84: A-FREAKIN'-MEN. If I'd ever wanted kids, comments like these would make me reconsider. It doesn't matter how lame you think the tradition is, really-- what matters is what her family thinks. Making a point by refusing can have some long, hard consequences. 95: How you're raised sometimes has much less impact than whether you're a "learn from others' mistakes" or a "learn the hard way" personality.

AMiniMuffin 0

95, The whole blessing thing is a little old. Some still follow the tradition, while others don't that is their choice. You say that asking for the blessing is a way to impress the family. I would hope that the family would have already met the man and knew that he wouldn't treat their daughter like dirt. I'm sure the relationship would not have developed to where the guy thought it would be the next best thing to get married and have a life together. I don't really see how these comments on here are saying they "refuse" to ask for the father's blessing to marry his daughter. All I see is people saying "Hey, I don't think this tradition is one I feel like I should follow, so I won't." I didn't know everyone has to follow all the traditions out there. If they don't want to follow that one tradition then it's fine. You shouldn't let some comments made on a website effect your choice to have children. That is probably the dumbest thing I have ever heard or actually read in my life.

you ever consider that you might have been the one to stop them from growing closer together?

SN_716 5

This one really hits home for me. My dad doesn't like my BF at all, even though we live together...

wow her dads a jerkk! do it anyways! if yuh love her alot then who cares about what he sayys?

bookbee 2

Ack! Who does that antiquated "women are property" bullshit anymore? If you want to marry the woman, ask HER. She's a big girl and can made up her own ******* mind. Look into the origins of the custom and you'll discover it was less about respect for the family and more about negotiating a sale price.

he is asking for his blessing; not his permission. If the father says "No, you do not have my blessing" All that means is he doesn't want them to get married (or he just hates OP ). Emphasis on want. They can still get married if they would like to, it just means the father will be sitting in the corner sulking at the reception. ~end rant. :)

I'm sure the Dad might have a problem with OP for a reason. Although sending a text shows how immature the Dad actually is. Anyway, luckily you only really need to ask your gf to marry you; not her father.

op dont worry just talk to him man to man and Im sure he still might not like you but you will get his respect and thats you can hope for and it does not hurt to get her mom on your side to talk to her husband on his issues.

It's not necessarily just a growing-up thing. I've seen friends/fam let a romantic relationship ruin their family relationships, usually because the romantic relationship is really unhealthy-- codependent, manipulative, verbally, emotionally and/or physically abusive, lots of cheating, the whole on-again-off-again thing etc. When people get really enmeshed, they're just constantly hurting each other and living in misery but they can't see it. When family tries to step in it can get really ugly. All I'm saying is it's entirely possible for OP's dad to be right.