By Anonymous - 22/07/2010 06:44 - United States

Today, my girlfriend's father sent me a text message that simply stated "You ruined my relationship with my daughter." I wanted to ask him for his blessing to marry his daughter. FML
I agree, your life sucks 38 016
You deserved it 3 397

Same thing different taste

Top comments

s89gtr89 0

:'( do it anyway. he's a jerk.

**** the old coot. Your marrying his daughter, not her father. And look at it this way, the worst thing you could do to him is marry his daughter, make her happy and completely ignore him. If he hates you that much then it will kill him to see you doing all that well. ;-)

Comments

oxoashleeoxo 6

Ouch, better scratch those wedding plans.

Aw, that sucks. :( ... I would apologize and ask in about a week..

I don't think you need to ask for his blessing. you are marring the daughter, not the dad. everyone says it a "respect" thing, but I think it is kind of demeaning to the future wife to ask for permission. the daughter isn't owned by the dad. this is a very outdated practice that I think needs to stop.

you're a ****. why would you even ask?

Firstly, what kind of pathetic loser sends a text like that!? It's cowardly and I suggest you rock up on his doorstep and confront him about it, talk about it man to man...if he is one. At very least show yourself to be one where he may fail. Secondly, what an immature prick to suggest that YOU ruined the relationship with his daughter....if it was an awesome relationship no guy or anything else would ever RUIN it. And finally, I get the traditional 'asking the father's permission' rubbish, but show your girlfriend some respect .... she is the owner of her own life and NOT her father, even symbolically.

birds_fml 7

You are so right! I'd up vote you a million times if I could.

Graawr 7

#26 #28 I agree with you guys. :/ And that sucks op. :c

Graawr 7

#26 #28 I agree with you guys. :/ And that sucks op. :c

forget about the father. If she wants to be with you, his opinion doesn't matter.

wait, how can your girlfriend have a five-year-old father? because it sounds like that's what's happening here