By falconjade - 06/12/2013 17:28 - Canada - Bowmanville

Today, my friend's dog got hit by a car. I was the only one not in shock, and had to drag the poor thing off the road, then comfort a hysterical friend while the driver verbally abused us and demanded we pay for the repairs to his car. FML
I agree, your life sucks 46 953
You deserved it 2 878

falconjade tells us more.

OP here! The dog got out when the old man who rents out a room in my friends house - though he'd been repeatedly warned not to - let the dog out. The dogs not very well-trained and does not come when you call him, which is why we keep him inside except for when he goes on walks, on a leash. We had all been getting ready for our schools semi formal so we ran out into the cold in bare feet and dresses while we tried to make sure the dog didn't run away. He was running back towards our friends house when the car hit him. My friend lives beside a public school so the dog was hit in a school crossing zone, so there was no reason for the driver to be going fast enough to not be able to hit the brakes in time, but evidently he was. Fortunately the dog is a massive German Shepard. When he got hit, there was a terrifying bang followed by horrid whimpering. We all thought he was going to die. I'm trained in first aid and checked for injuries on the dogs body, and he seemed fine, except for a scrape on his eyebrow, so I took him back to the house. The bumper of the car was knocked clean off and it seems the dog has a concussion but he will live, but the driver keeps showing up to my friends house, who can't afford a vet bill, let alone the repairs cost.

Top comments

CamdenMarie 6

Did you direct him to a separate area in which he could go **** off?

I think that if he keeps demanding, then your friend should call the cops. He's the one who was driving so fast, and so not only can he be charged for speeding, and harassment, but also be forced by the court to pay for the dog's bills. As they say, the pedestrian always has the right of way, even if it's a dog!

Comments

If someone hit my dog I wouldnt let them verbally abuse me cuz I would've knocked him the f*ck out

HeyImAmy 20

Something similar happened to friend of mine. We were hanging out for a day and she had offered to drive me to a dentist appointment that I had that day. On the way to the appointment, some asshole in a company van decided to not watch his driving and hit the left side mirror on her car. My friend stopped to check for damage to her car but there was nothing. She only had to fix her mirror, which had turned inward. She fixed her mirror and then started driving again. A few seconds later, she stopped on the side of the road, yet again, to double check for minor scratches and damage, At first, I assumed that the driver of the van thought something was wrong with my friend's car because he stopped behind us. He got out of his van and boy was I wrong. He walked over to my friend who was checking her car out and proceeded to lead her to his van. Then he proceeded to show some very minor scratches and dents that were on his van and make up some bullshit story about how those scratches were all my friend's fault and her insurance had to pay and whatnot. The scratches could have been there for ages, and I saw him hit my friend's car, NOT the other way around (my friend was not at fault in any way) but I know that son of a bitch wanted money and was gonna do anything to get it (even if it meant hitting someone's car and making up some sob story about how it was the other person's fault).

Sammi_d96 5

Here is another idea, maybe the dog ran out of the house and while they were chasing it the dog got hit. Stop worrying about whether or not if the dog had a leash on. That is not the point of the post.

caligirllife 11

Hitting a dog is a crime! Have your friend press charges!

Why does everyone assume the dog was running loose in the road? Where I live there is next to no sidewalk as it is a suburan area, so there's no where but the side of the road to walk. Most drivers are pretty good, but every now and then you get a moron going much faster than they should who almost hits you. That or when crossing a street(we have a big road going through the neiborhood, but in order to get to a crosswalk from my side you have to walk a fair distance with no side walk and lots of fast cars coming from behind you) sometimes dogs lang behind a bit or run ab= bit ahead on the leash, and some idiot might hit them due to bad driving.

TheCyanNight 13

There's been times where I've walked my dogs and they've gotten so scared (from fireworks or other loud noises) that they take off, knocking me over in the process. Once, while chasing one of my dogs down the block after he got scared, he almost got hit three times. It's scary and not all drivers stop. I was lucky he went straight home and wasn't hurt.

I understand this comment would get dislikes and buried but I have to say it. Why exactly do people give more comments of sympathy when an animal (dog/cat) dies saying "OMG poor puppy" when if a person dies people give only half the care than they do the animal? It doesn't entirely make a ton of sense, I mean I feel for the puppy as much as anyone else but damn. Why this?

Two reasons. One: Animals are generally innocent. Two: Human deaths due to hubris or stupidity are not sad. They're more like "Good thing they can't pollute the gene pool anymore!"

littlepoose 8

I think you need to go back and re-read the FML. Although your point is a good one, it has nothing to do with this particular story. Most likely the driver of the car who hit the dog was not in danger of dying

Oooor maybe the driver was running a red light? Probably not since I think OP would have written that then, but we don't know. My dog and I almost got driven oven because of that, he's alive today thanks to that he's properly leash trained and walks by my side. Half a metre in front of me and he would've been a flat dog.

If anybody hit an animal of mine and then cussed me out and started talking about "damages"..... Well I'd give them more damages than they probably thought they could ever handle. I'd say, "You just killed my baby, you stupid little fucktard! Time to DIE!" I doubt I'd really be able to kill them, but if they didn't offer any help or sympathy, they'd better hope some higher power has mercy on them, cause I ******' won't! People are such dickheads sometimes. Sorry for your friend's loss OP. I hope that dumbass driver gets what he deserves!