By falconjade - 06/12/2013 17:28 - Canada - Bowmanville

Today, my friend's dog got hit by a car. I was the only one not in shock, and had to drag the poor thing off the road, then comfort a hysterical friend while the driver verbally abused us and demanded we pay for the repairs to his car. FML
I agree, your life sucks 46 953
You deserved it 2 878

falconjade tells us more.

OP here! The dog got out when the old man who rents out a room in my friends house - though he'd been repeatedly warned not to - let the dog out. The dogs not very well-trained and does not come when you call him, which is why we keep him inside except for when he goes on walks, on a leash. We had all been getting ready for our schools semi formal so we ran out into the cold in bare feet and dresses while we tried to make sure the dog didn't run away. He was running back towards our friends house when the car hit him. My friend lives beside a public school so the dog was hit in a school crossing zone, so there was no reason for the driver to be going fast enough to not be able to hit the brakes in time, but evidently he was. Fortunately the dog is a massive German Shepard. When he got hit, there was a terrifying bang followed by horrid whimpering. We all thought he was going to die. I'm trained in first aid and checked for injuries on the dogs body, and he seemed fine, except for a scrape on his eyebrow, so I took him back to the house. The bumper of the car was knocked clean off and it seems the dog has a concussion but he will live, but the driver keeps showing up to my friends house, who can't afford a vet bill, let alone the repairs cost.

Top comments

CamdenMarie 6

Did you direct him to a separate area in which he could go **** off?

I think that if he keeps demanding, then your friend should call the cops. He's the one who was driving so fast, and so not only can he be charged for speeding, and harassment, but also be forced by the court to pay for the dog's bills. As they say, the pedestrian always has the right of way, even if it's a dog!

Comments

beaverteaser 16

did you pay him in Trident gum???

XBurytheCastleX 25

(I know you will thumb me down!) your friend has to legally pay the bills because the dog was off of their property and damaged the car. I know that sounds horrible... But that's how the law works... Ain't it fun living in the real world? Poor dog...

ninjuh_wingman 29

What the hell do you mean the friend has to pay because the dog was off the property? The friend could've been taking the dog for a walk. And if anything, the driver has to pay for hitting the dog. The driver was the cause of the accident and it's his own fault his car is damaged.

skittyskatbrat 19

Nope. Cars belong on roads. Dogs do not. When the dog is on the road and off-leash, or on-leash and walked out in front of the vehicle, it is 100% the fault of the dog owner. And yes, she will have to pay for repairs UNLESS the dog was on a short leash, right beside her, heeling properly as they crossed the road at an intersection or other approved crossing spot. And that does not sound like the case here. Her dog was where it should not be and did damage to someone else's property. Sucks for the dog, sucks for the car owner, sucks for the gal who had to deal with the fall out...and is both an FML and a YDI for the dog owner. Barring, of course, some weird coincidence not in her control that put her dog out in the street at that time.

XBurytheCastleX 25

#38 seems a bit "special" to me. There's a god damn leash law. They have to pay for the damages. Google it if you don't believe me.

Im laughing so hard I'm going to hell ... I can't

What is wrong with you? :I you can laugh at whatever you want but don't posted it... that's mean.

33- I wish that stop midsentence was due to you suddenly dying, you heartless ****.

hahahah that's one more story from a stupid dog owner not controlling their pet... like I said HAHAHA, hope the driver sues and wins

An innocent animal is injured or dead. Cars can be repaired; animals sometimes can't. Have a little respect...

Ins0mau 20

**** you. Accidents happen. Nobody's perfect. Could have easily ran out a front door as it was opened. Has happened to me before. Cynical heartless douche. An innocent animal died.

you need to be euthanized you heartless ****

If that was the case then it would still be the friends fault for not being aware of traffic.

That's when you kicked his ass for being a prick, right?

My first reaction was you don't let a dog run loose where it can get into traffic. You and your friend should know better. The reality is that the dog owner is responsible for damage caused by an animal not under control.

skittyskatbrat 19

That's an FML for all involved. For the dog, that got hit by the car. For the driver, whose car got damaged. For the friend, whose carelessness got her dog into the road to be hit, and for you, that had to deal with all of the above. That sucks. Sorry, OP!