By falconjade - 06/12/2013 17:28 - Canada - Bowmanville

Today, my friend's dog got hit by a car. I was the only one not in shock, and had to drag the poor thing off the road, then comfort a hysterical friend while the driver verbally abused us and demanded we pay for the repairs to his car. FML
I agree, your life sucks 46 953
You deserved it 2 878

falconjade tells us more.

OP here! The dog got out when the old man who rents out a room in my friends house - though he'd been repeatedly warned not to - let the dog out. The dogs not very well-trained and does not come when you call him, which is why we keep him inside except for when he goes on walks, on a leash. We had all been getting ready for our schools semi formal so we ran out into the cold in bare feet and dresses while we tried to make sure the dog didn't run away. He was running back towards our friends house when the car hit him. My friend lives beside a public school so the dog was hit in a school crossing zone, so there was no reason for the driver to be going fast enough to not be able to hit the brakes in time, but evidently he was. Fortunately the dog is a massive German Shepard. When he got hit, there was a terrifying bang followed by horrid whimpering. We all thought he was going to die. I'm trained in first aid and checked for injuries on the dogs body, and he seemed fine, except for a scrape on his eyebrow, so I took him back to the house. The bumper of the car was knocked clean off and it seems the dog has a concussion but he will live, but the driver keeps showing up to my friends house, who can't afford a vet bill, let alone the repairs cost.

Top comments

CamdenMarie 6

Did you direct him to a separate area in which he could go **** off?

I think that if he keeps demanding, then your friend should call the cops. He's the one who was driving so fast, and so not only can he be charged for speeding, and harassment, but also be forced by the court to pay for the dog's bills. As they say, the pedestrian always has the right of way, even if it's a dog!

Comments

Alastrina_fml 20

If that idiot driver keeps showing up, make a note of the licence plate number, get his contact information to "pay for repairs" then post it up here and watch how much hate mail he gets.

shout back @ the ******* bastard to go **** himself before doing his Car real serious damage

I'd hate to be the devil's advocate here, but we don't know the circumstances... I can think of plenty of situations where the pet owner really is at fault here and is liable for the damages to the drivers car... But he should have handled it differently, point taken...

Also, in the drivers defense (boy, am I going to get a lot of -1 for this...), it may also have been a panic/adrenaline reaction... It happens in bad situations. People sometimes respond strangely and unreasonable because of the intensity of the moment, due to adrenaline and the sheer amount of shock. Only later, after calming down, does the gravity of the situation dawn on them...

I never thought of that before, 183, you have a very good point

So they aren't taking their dog to the vet because they can't afford it? They shouldn't have pets then...plain and simple

where in Canada do you live if its in BC I might be able to help you I know a friend who use to work in a vet clinic and she could possibly look at the dog for you

I would seriously beat the shit out of him

Yeah what if it was a child and not a dog. That guy is an asshole and needs to slow down. I hope the dog is okay!

If it was my dog, and some dude hit him then bitched at me and tells me to pay for his car, i would tell him to **** off then explain to him that if he doesnt leave now that i will call the cops and tell them that he went speeding down the road then veered over and hit the dog just to claim my insurance. I would bet that he would get in his car pretty fast and take off. I love my dog, and if he gets hit by a car and i get bitched at while im in tears, someones getting punched

I'm not sure what the laws are like in Canada but in Massachusetts it's required by law that all animals receive proper medical care and if their owners can't provide that the SPCA or Humane Society has the authority to confiscate them.