By falconjade - 06/12/2013 17:28 - Canada - Bowmanville

Today, my friend's dog got hit by a car. I was the only one not in shock, and had to drag the poor thing off the road, then comfort a hysterical friend while the driver verbally abused us and demanded we pay for the repairs to his car. FML
I agree, your life sucks 46 953
You deserved it 2 878

falconjade tells us more.

OP here! The dog got out when the old man who rents out a room in my friends house - though he'd been repeatedly warned not to - let the dog out. The dogs not very well-trained and does not come when you call him, which is why we keep him inside except for when he goes on walks, on a leash. We had all been getting ready for our schools semi formal so we ran out into the cold in bare feet and dresses while we tried to make sure the dog didn't run away. He was running back towards our friends house when the car hit him. My friend lives beside a public school so the dog was hit in a school crossing zone, so there was no reason for the driver to be going fast enough to not be able to hit the brakes in time, but evidently he was. Fortunately the dog is a massive German Shepard. When he got hit, there was a terrifying bang followed by horrid whimpering. We all thought he was going to die. I'm trained in first aid and checked for injuries on the dogs body, and he seemed fine, except for a scrape on his eyebrow, so I took him back to the house. The bumper of the car was knocked clean off and it seems the dog has a concussion but he will live, but the driver keeps showing up to my friends house, who can't afford a vet bill, let alone the repairs cost.

Top comments

CamdenMarie 6

Did you direct him to a separate area in which he could go **** off?

I think that if he keeps demanding, then your friend should call the cops. He's the one who was driving so fast, and so not only can he be charged for speeding, and harassment, but also be forced by the court to pay for the dog's bills. As they say, the pedestrian always has the right of way, even if it's a dog!

Comments

I think the dog smelt another bitch (the car driver)!

Hey driver, you're supposed to keep your eye on everything, so repair your own car and pay for the funeral costs for the dog, DOUCHE!

omg! I hope the dog survived. what a dumb person I would just slap him and run the dog to the vet! poor dog I'm really sad now :(

Quiet_one 22

I wouldn't blame the owner if the dog darted out the door. Accidents happen, no matter how careful you are. But even a dog on a leash isn't really safe- I once saw a dog at a vet clinic who had been hit while on a walk with a leash by the side of the road, because a stupid driver couldn't stay on a straight line. It isn't the driver's fault if the dog ran into the street and he didn't have time to stop, but unless the owner actively put the dog in the path of the car it isn't her fault either.

Sue him. Unless it wasn't on a leash then the judge might rule in the drivers favor.

OP here! The dog got out when the old man who rents out a room in my friends house - though he'd been repeatedly warned not to - let the dog out. The dogs not very well-trained and does not come when you call him, which is why we keep him inside except for when he goes on walks, on a leash. We had all been getting ready for our schools semi formal so we ran out into the cold in bare feet and dresses while we tried to make sure the dog didn't run away. He was running back towards our friends house when the car hit him. My friend lives beside a public school so the dog was hit in a school crossing zone, so there was no reason for the driver to be going fast enough to not be able to hit the brakes in time, but evidently he was. Fortunately the dog is a massive German Shepard. When he got hit, there was a terrifying bang followed by horrid whimpering. We all thought he was going to die. I'm trained in first aid and checked for injuries on the dogs body, and he seemed fine, except for a scrape on his eyebrow, so I took him back to the house. The bumper of the car was knocked clean off and it seems the dog has a concussion but he will live, but the driver keeps showing up to my friends house, who can't afford a vet bill, let alone the repairs cost.

I think that if he keeps demanding, then your friend should call the cops. He's the one who was driving so fast, and so not only can he be charged for speeding, and harassment, but also be forced by the court to pay for the dog's bills. As they say, the pedestrian always has the right of way, even if it's a dog!

I'm glad the dog is okay! If he keeps harassing your friend she should call the cops. It's not her fault he was speeding in a school zone.

@ 133 sorry, that just isn't correct here. If the dog ran suddenly out, even on a cross walk, the court will probably rule in the guy's favor. That being said, this whole thing really was the roommate's fault. But I am not convinced taking this to court is the best idea. But even if she owes him money, he can't harass her. I am glad the dog is okay!

Even though you are trained in first aid, I really hope that your friend took her dog to the vet to get checked out.

I totally get you, considering I'm trained in human first aid. As it is, I'm not a substitute for a doctor, let alone a vet. Unfortunately my friend can't afford a vet so my very limited advice and assessment is all we have.

youdon'tknowme 9

In the eyes of the law a dog is property and not a person. It is the owners responsibility to control the dog, so speeding or not the driver is not liable. She can, however, sue the roomate for the vet bills if they can prove he let the dog out and had been warned many times. Trust me. I've seen this 100 times on judge Judy ;)

Redoxx_fml 22

Cause Judge Judy is the most accurate representation of the law. Just do what Harvey Specter does, the guy has definitely gotten speeding tickets, sue his ass

Actually you can be fined if you hit the animal in a residential area. Well it's true the owner should have control the driver should have been watching for possible hazards as well as oh I don't know.. going speed limit. He can also be charged for harassment as well.

If you're friend can't afford to take the dog to the vet or train it then maybe she shouldn't have it. An untrained German Shepards are not good to have, they're very hard to train. They have books on training by breed as well.

So you checked for internal injuries as well?? If the dog was hit hard enough for pieces of the car to come off, the chance that the dog came off as lightly as you seem to think is very very slim. I'm sure that if you could find money to buy dresses for a school function, you could find the money to have the dog at least checked over by a vet.

I am sure there is a vet that will understand that money is tight and will allow her friend to pay off the vet bill on a monthly. It upsets me when people get pets and they can't take care of it.

Both our dresses were under $20, so unless you know a shady discount vet, that point is moot and you're arrogant. Also of course there's risk for internal injuries but I'm not trained for that and at lack of a vet all we can do is wait and see what happens. I know it's awful and if it were me, my dog would be at the vet in an instant but my friend refuses. There is nothing I can do.

Karcasm 7

A lot of vets here will accept weekly payments if the treatment is going to be expensive. Maybe that's not the case where you live, but surely your friend could enquire? Otherwise the poor dog could be in lots of pain and she won't know...

The hell with what the driver says and call the police about him stalking you and your friend also let's hear him explain why he was going so fast in a school zone to the cop. I'd like to hear that one myself.

diguiseppimon 10

If your friend cant afford a vet, why the **** do they have a pet? Poor dog.

We don't know if the guy was speeding, stop jumping to conclusions.

I'm sorry, but I agree with the people who say that your friend shouldn't own a dog she can't afford. When my German Shepherd broke through our screen door to try to play with the Labrador across the street and got hit, I rushed him to the vet. It was on a Sunday, so it was an emergency vet, and I had to make payments on both the initial visit and the amputation that followed. It was a $3000+ accident, not to mention the spay my little girl was scheduled for that I ended up having to also make payments on due to the unexpected expense. I worked for months to pay those bills because that's what responsible pet owners do. They take care of the animals they love.

If it was me I would have beat his ass into a bloody pulp. Even more so after demanding money for repairs.

yellowzinnias 20

This is actually NOT what they say. Regardless of how or why the dog got out, if there are leash laws in your state/county, your friend will be responsible for the car repairs. I am glad that the dog is okay!

geebhs 4

What if the dog had run off and damaged a stationary car, would it be the car driver's fault? What if the dog had run off and killed another dog, which WAS under control of it's owner? The latter is exactly what happened to a friend. House mate was told he must not let dogs in to the garden because they could get out. He did anyway. To my mind it is the 'fault' of the person who let it happen. However, generally (I'm in the UK), the person who is the owner of the dog is held responsible and this is generally reasonable, I'd say. If this person had done it more than once before, they should have been kicked out for being a complete **** that you couldn't trust to live in your house. Would he do the same if it was a kid? In this case I mentioned, my friend spent thousands of his own money to save his own dog from death in the courts - the other dog in the house was put down as it was suggested my friend's dog got there first. To my mind he should have got the housemate to pay - especially as it was supposedly a friend. I have unfortunately been in the situation where a dog I was under the control of was hit by a car. Very minor damage to the car and they were relatively sympathetic so left it at that. I paid for the significant vets fees, despite it not really being my 'fault' (and rather short of cash as it was) for this case - just an unfortunate situation.

that sounds like harassment. unacceptable! your friend would do well to call the cops

tell him to f#ck off and suck one the piece of sh*t

It sounds like he's harassing her, tell the cops. I hope things work out.

I am so sorry this whole ordeal happened. But if it's not during school hours, the school crossing rule doesn't apply. But still, that's too fast if you can't stop safely.

I will pay for your car damage after you pay for the dogs hospital bill, a lifetime of therapy, and the damage to your car.

If you're serious, that's beyond awesome. This comment is somewhat pointless but I just wanted to tell you, you are the best kind of person and May life treat you well.

Some people in this world..... Rip to the dog. Hope your friend is alright. And hope the guy gets what he deserves for yelling at you guys. What prick

XXgutterflowerXX 18