By falconjade - 06/12/2013 17:28 - Canada - Bowmanville

Today, my friend's dog got hit by a car. I was the only one not in shock, and had to drag the poor thing off the road, then comfort a hysterical friend while the driver verbally abused us and demanded we pay for the repairs to his car. FML
I agree, your life sucks 46 953
You deserved it 2 878

falconjade tells us more.

OP here! The dog got out when the old man who rents out a room in my friends house - though he'd been repeatedly warned not to - let the dog out. The dogs not very well-trained and does not come when you call him, which is why we keep him inside except for when he goes on walks, on a leash. We had all been getting ready for our schools semi formal so we ran out into the cold in bare feet and dresses while we tried to make sure the dog didn't run away. He was running back towards our friends house when the car hit him. My friend lives beside a public school so the dog was hit in a school crossing zone, so there was no reason for the driver to be going fast enough to not be able to hit the brakes in time, but evidently he was. Fortunately the dog is a massive German Shepard. When he got hit, there was a terrifying bang followed by horrid whimpering. We all thought he was going to die. I'm trained in first aid and checked for injuries on the dogs body, and he seemed fine, except for a scrape on his eyebrow, so I took him back to the house. The bumper of the car was knocked clean off and it seems the dog has a concussion but he will live, but the driver keeps showing up to my friends house, who can't afford a vet bill, let alone the repairs cost.

Top comments

CamdenMarie 6

Did you direct him to a separate area in which he could go **** off?

I think that if he keeps demanding, then your friend should call the cops. He's the one who was driving so fast, and so not only can he be charged for speeding, and harassment, but also be forced by the court to pay for the dog's bills. As they say, the pedestrian always has the right of way, even if it's a dog!

Comments

that ******* bitch... I wudve punched him in his face and thrn ran him over with his own damn car ******* loser... good luck OP bcus you need it

call the police then that's considered harassment and if he was speending in the school zone that's a huge fine...

Just like the pet owner may get a huge fine for not keeping his dog on a leash?

unwantedforlife 14

Even though that driver shouldn't be harassing you, they actually doesn't have to pay vet bills or even hold responsibility if the town has leash laws. Your friend is fully responsible for the safety of their animal. Glad the dog is ok though

I don't want to sound rude in any way but to me, a person shouldn't have animals if they can't afford to take care of them. If your friend can't afford to take this dog to the vet when a serious issue could be at play, it's not the responsibility of another person but of the owner. Things happen especially with animals and they get very expensive.

I agree with you there. I was so frustrated when they refused to see a vet.

strawberrywine22 30

So by your logic, since I can't afford to take my dog to the vet at the moment, I should send her away from the only home she has known for 14 years so she can live with wealthy strangers?

minniemutt 12

The dog should go to the vet no matter what after that. Some will work out payment plans for expensive accidents like this or if they get really sick. They understand times get tough and vet bills can add up fast.

@164: So you'd rather see your beloved pet suffer in silence because you can't afford to go to the vet? Seriously??

in Canada if your dog gets hit by a car and does damage to the car the owner of the dog would be responsible.

that seems backwards. the owner is held accountable for the damaged MACHINE of the person that ENDED THE LIFE of your beloved animal.

if you can't afford the vet you can't afford the pet. End of story.

I'd kindly tell him to go screw himself up the butt with a bottle of lighter fluid and a monkey wrench.

Here's the thing tho, at one point they may have been able to afford it and then stuff came up. Then what? Get rid of the dog? Dogs are not just animals, they are family. Money issues do come up. Even for the rich. As to the dog, she needs to find a way to buy some treats, and work on training him. Get a muzzle too. It'll help control the dog. Like say he's getting too wild even tho she's played with him, put on the muzzle so he learns to calm down. It'll help with training for outside too

At that point they have to make a decision. What if something happens and they can't afford to have a vet look at it? In some cases they may be forced to put it to sleep, because they can't pay the bill. Is that how you want to handle family? I realize it may be a hard decision, but it is something you have to consider. I've seen it happen all too often. Animals who get put to sleep because the owner can't afford the treatment. In some cases, it may be in the animals best interest to put it up for adoption...

Yes this is true that unforeseeable things come up but then what do when a situation such as this arises? You can't let this animal sit in pain after being hit by a vehicle. There's adoption, shelters, family that could care for the animals until your back on your feet and unfortunately euthanasia.

Owning a pet is a responsibility, and one should always have money put aside for emergencies if they are truly responsible. If you feel your pet is a part of your family and not just a commodity, then your emergency money should also extend to the animal's welfare.

gamecritic101 11

Possibly the most important thing to teach a dog is to come to you when called. You should help your friend train the dog into coming whenever he/she is called. Have some treats for the dog and practice having them come when their name is called, whenever they come they get rewarded. My puppy is always jumping all over the place because she gets very excited with anything but she will always drop what she's doing if she hears me call her name. It's come in handy more than you might think.

haileyshelton 14

This is really weird, my friend's dog just got hit by a car and I drove by while a group was standing around it, but the windows were fogged from the cold so I didn't know what happened until I saw it on Facebook later :( It'd be weird if I knew you lol. Anyway, I'm very sorry about the dog :((

MzZombicidal 36

I hop you punched the driver right in the face