By falconjade - 06/12/2013 17:28 - Canada - Bowmanville

Today, my friend's dog got hit by a car. I was the only one not in shock, and had to drag the poor thing off the road, then comfort a hysterical friend while the driver verbally abused us and demanded we pay for the repairs to his car. FML
I agree, your life sucks 46 953
You deserved it 2 878

falconjade tells us more.

OP here! The dog got out when the old man who rents out a room in my friends house - though he'd been repeatedly warned not to - let the dog out. The dogs not very well-trained and does not come when you call him, which is why we keep him inside except for when he goes on walks, on a leash. We had all been getting ready for our schools semi formal so we ran out into the cold in bare feet and dresses while we tried to make sure the dog didn't run away. He was running back towards our friends house when the car hit him. My friend lives beside a public school so the dog was hit in a school crossing zone, so there was no reason for the driver to be going fast enough to not be able to hit the brakes in time, but evidently he was. Fortunately the dog is a massive German Shepard. When he got hit, there was a terrifying bang followed by horrid whimpering. We all thought he was going to die. I'm trained in first aid and checked for injuries on the dogs body, and he seemed fine, except for a scrape on his eyebrow, so I took him back to the house. The bumper of the car was knocked clean off and it seems the dog has a concussion but he will live, but the driver keeps showing up to my friends house, who can't afford a vet bill, let alone the repairs cost.

Top comments

CamdenMarie 6

Did you direct him to a separate area in which he could go **** off?

I think that if he keeps demanding, then your friend should call the cops. He's the one who was driving so fast, and so not only can he be charged for speeding, and harassment, but also be forced by the court to pay for the dog's bills. As they say, the pedestrian always has the right of way, even if it's a dog!

Comments

what happened to empathy for your fellow living being? you know, being worried about the animal you could have KILLED.

nightshadow2002 5

Wtf dude u just hit the girls dog and your telling them that she has to pay for the dent on your car that was made by hitting the dog I mean did you even ******* slow down to not hit him

Tell that asshole to pay for the damage done to your friend's DOG!

In my hometown (middle-sized-ville, Deep South, USA) the driver is responsible if the accident occurs in a residential area; outside of the city, neither party is liable for the other party's loss, since letting the dog run loose gives it the same status as a deer or raccoon. It's way more legally complicated if someone runs into your cow or flattens your chicken, although the same applies to Rover if you can prove it was a legitimate working farm dog.

What a bastard, hope you two are okay.

That's horrible but I think legally you do have to pay for the damages. At least that's the law around where I live.