By Gracie-Ann - 01/07/2013 06:38 - United States - Portland

Today, my fiancé paid a visit to my parents so he could ask my dad's permission to marry me. My dad responded with, "Why buy the cow when you can milk it for free?" FML
I agree, your life sucks 56 675
You deserved it 4 812

Same thing different taste

Top comments

ItsAnanya 25

Should've asked your mum ," why did you buy the pig if you could get the sausage for free?" Congratulations on the engagement though ^~^

perdix 29

#7, it was a barnyard reference. The dad was horsing around by being a pig. Hopefully, the OP ducked the question and won't chicken out on the proposal -- that'd be bull! See how that works? Now, you give it a try. . .

Comments

I think they were referring to a donkey... but that still has nothing to do with this.

I'm sorry to break it to you, but donkeys and cows are two different animals.

perdix 29

#7, it was a barnyard reference. The dad was horsing around by being a pig. Hopefully, the OP ducked the question and won't chicken out on the proposal -- that'd be bull! See how that works? Now, you give it a try. . .

I got the donkey reference, but I didn't get the barnyard one #15. I am a silly goose. :)

phantumgrey 6

Hopefully he was joking. Crude and off the mark if he was, but hopefully.

No I'm pretty sure he actually wants his daughter to be a whoreable person.

#22- I don't always want milk, but when I do, I get it for free.

Damian95 16

That's cruel but playful fathers for you!

Wonder if that's what OP's granddaddy said to your dad long ago. Sorry OP!

olpally 32

Horrible joke and horrible thing to say. Parents are so cruel on here. Good luck op.

They may be cruel, but they make such great stories.

ItsAnanya 25

Should've asked your mum ," why did you buy the pig if you could get the sausage for free?" Congratulations on the engagement though ^~^

I would see that as more of an attack on the dad. Kind of like when baby mommas tell their kids "daddy is a jerk."

"because i would love to start a farm with her" Thats the most badass and corny response i can think of lol

What an udderly heartless and insensitive thing to say! If your dad was calf the man that he should be, he would've either let him down cheesy or given him his blessing. I think you should have a long talk with your dad about this, but try not to (milk)shake things up too much.

perdix 29

He's just trying to weasel out of the tradition of paying for the wedding. (Play your cards right and he'll buy you a new car if you promise to elope with "the cow.")

perdix 29

#13, OK, I meant the fiance ought to extract a sizable bribe from the father to get him out of the expense and the hassle of putting on a big wedding.

Your dad is just trying to be funny with a twist of an old joke. I think it goes-- Why buy the milk when you already have the cow at home.

The saying is "Why buy the cow when you get the milk for free?"