By WayToGoDaddyHo - 08/07/2015 06:17 - United States - Beaverton

Today, my father lectured me for dating a man with "no future", even though he's entering a PhD program next year at a top university. Meanwhile, my dad's last relationship was with a 20-year-old hooker who ended up stealing his credit cards. FML
I agree, your life sucks 28 964
You deserved it 1 830

Same thing different taste

Top comments

MattStro 23

I suggest pointing that out to him and then I doubt he'll ever criticize your choices again.

And he's talking trash about YOUR relationship? Wow

Comments

orsombre_fml 11

Well, not everyone can date a hooker and a thief... Sorry for you to have such a dad, OP.

Depends, really, on what your guy's field is. As the tech working in a bike store told me; "all of us here have dead-end degrees". Your Dad may or may not be right, even if his own choices are messed up.

Keeping in mind how perceptive you are of your father's situation, as you might have figured out it doesn't seem like he's a prime candidate to bestow his opinion on you AND for you to consider his comment or accept it as your own. Keep on doing what your doing and who you're doing it with. As long as you both are happy and healthy, nothing and no one should get in the way of that.

Sounds like he's pushing how he feels about his relationships onto you.

What's his suggestion be.. Like date a male hooker??

Steve_Dudley_UK 10

Just tell your dad that of course you could do better but your only dating him for the sex and besides he's not only good in bed but not a thief. Win win situation dad.

Actually just to point out people with PhD's don't get paid that much and have a limited job market. Seeing as most companies won't hire them because they can pay a person with a masters less and get the same work out of them. So the only places that will hire him would be a University and they don't pay that much especially considering the amount in debt he will be in.

Me and my boyfriend started dating in high school, and because of that my family just assumed he was just another high school boyfriend and he wouldn't last. That was until graduation when they realized he was in highest honors with a 4.0 GPA and he was going to a private college to be a Psychologist. Now they're telling me not to ever let him go.

Based on the information you've provided I'd say it's safe to always do the opposite of whatever your father says.