My dad, the gold digger

By Anonymous - 29/12/2022 03:00

Today, I was telling my dad how I turned down some guy, but when I mentioned the guy's name my dad was like, “Oh, you mean the son of my old friend, studying computer engineering, genius, real future ahead of him, and you think you can do better than him? What’s wrong with you?” FML
I agree, your life sucks 897
You deserved it 503

Same thing different taste

Top comments

It doesn’t matter how good they look on paper if they have a shitty personality!

Yes, I'm curious, too. What is wrong with you? You should date a computer engineer for the time being until you can trade up to a mechanical engineer.

Comments

Yes, I'm curious, too. What is wrong with you? You should date a computer engineer for the time being until you can trade up to a mechanical engineer.

It doesn’t matter how good they look on paper if they have a shitty personality!

Dating and pairing up can be like an easter egg hunt for Fabergé jeweled eggs in a minefield… There are treasures out there but there are also hazards. Usually people start out attracted by personality, values; and if we are honest, also appearance and sex appeal. In that process we also discover that we ourselves have some degree of desirable and undesirable characteristics and eventually confine our dating pursuit to people in the same league as ourselves - After we have made some improvements to ourselves, of course… Intelligence and good career prospects are important considerations to many people, but so is personality and other considerations. Often it depends on how close we are to our “best by date” (it happens to men and women both), and how much we are willing to compromise on what we are looking for in a mate. Obviously we all want it all - But those who “have it all” are highly desirable and may be out of our league leaving us with little chance with them. I assume this is a version of what Dad meant… As a male engineer, I happen to think that it’s a good career and most engineers I have known are fairly stable human beings and very handy to have around. I will also admit that as professional “nerds” (once that was an insult) many engineers I have known are not the smoothest at expressing feelings or flattering the object of their attention. So if a charming personality is your highest value for dating, you may well pass over an otherwise desirable human being… The truth is relationships are tricky and what one person sees as an asset may not be important to another. Even when both are good and decent people, sometimes the relationship just doesn’t work. OP, you are the one who will have to live with or without a given person and no one can, or should, force you to date someone you don’t care for. And that person deserves, like you, to be with someone who values them as a person.

"Why don't you date my friend's son who I think is brilliant?" "Because he looks like the Child Catcher from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang."