By wormsmeat - 17/09/2015 21:08 - Canada - Kingston

Today, my dog vomited a writhing mass of maggots. It was the most disgusting thing I've ever smelled, and I was baffled as to where she found a maggot infested dead thing to eat. Baffled, until my mom reminded me that my cat has been missing, presumed dead, for over a week. FML
I agree, your life sucks 28 027
You deserved it 1 765

Same thing different taste

Top comments

chill99 15

This is one of the saddest and most disgusting things I've read on this site. I'm sorry and FYL, OP.

exoticDeath 20

Sorry for your loss but you might want to take your pet to the vet ASAP before you lose another :/ good luck op!

Comments

This sounds like something out of a bad horror movie. So sorry, OP.

take your dog to the vet as soon as you can

Are you sure you they were maggots and not some sort of intestinal parasite? I would think that if your dog ate maggots, they'd be destroyed by his stomach acids like any other bug he might eat. And parasites look very similar to maggots to laymen such as ourselves. As disgusting as it sounds, I strongly suggest you keep a sample of the vomit with the "maggots" to be examined by a vet and get your dog to the vet as soon as possible. He could be very sick.

Yeah, Mythbusters even did a thing about this. Not specifically about maggots but they did talk about why parasitic worms are able to survive the stomach acids while other organisms are not. Even though it was a human stomach but I can't imagine a dog stomach being too much different.

I was confused about this, but then again I know nothing about a dog's digestive system and how far along something is processed before it's vomited up. I'm not sure if I want it clarifying whether it's possible for this to happen or if I want to remain blissfully ignorant!

I think it's safe to assume it's maggots. As far as I know, the only intestinal worm to be seen by the human eye looks nothing like maggots. They resemble thin clear spaghetti noodles. But then again, I could be wrong. Either way, a trip to the vet wouldn't hurt.

No, 27, that couldn't be more untrue. I know from experience with my cats that tapeworm larvae are extremely easy to see. Don't know about other kinds, though. I also think it's unlikely that even a dog would eat meat that was so foul it was was literally maggot infested.

I have actually seen dogs do just that. it's definitly possible. however it might be reassuring to the owner to know that if it were the cat and they are magets, it would have been dead for quite some time. so likley the dog didn't kill it. and yeah unless it was eaten in the past like half hour I would think at the most the magets should be dead. seeing as vinegar kills them. pretty sure a dog has more acidic stomach acid than vinegar. it could be worms. and if it is worms and not magets, it's quite possible that that extreme of a worm is what possessed the dog to eat the cat...

Perhaps I should clarify. The ones you can see in their puke are small and barely noticeable unless you're looking for their movement. Other common worms sit lower in the intestinal track, so they wouldn't normally be seen in vomit. Either way, there is a huge difference in appearance, so I believe it's safe to assume they are indeed maggots. Unless OP has no idea what a maggot looks like that is..

I shuddered reading this. I'm so sorry you had to witness that, OP, and I'm so sorry about your poor cat as well.

My heart sank reading this. Hopefully your dog found something else and your cat is still out there! I would take your dog to the vet, though. I can't imagine whatever it ate was totally safe.

As disgusting as that is, I kinda feel worse for the dog

tiredofwaiting 25

That is so nasty but sad. Sorry for your loss.

I'm so sorry to hear that. I'd be devastated if anything happened to my cat.