By ohcrap - 11/12/2009 00:28 - United States

Today, my boyfriend, who's a bit older than me, introduced me to his daughter. I was expecting a toddler. Nope, she's a year older than me. FML
I agree, your life sucks 17 370
You deserved it 40 106

Same thing different taste

Top comments

And you're still trying to convince yourself he's only "a bit older"?

Comments

Let's assume you're at least 18, and the daughter is at least 19 since she's a year older. Now, let's assume he had the kid at 10 years old, that would mean he's at least 28+ years old. Just what in the hell are you doing hanging out with someone who is 10+ years older than you? That's way more than a "tad bit" older than you, in my opinion.

My BF is 9 years older then I am, the majority of my friends are at least as old as he is, if not significantly older. A couple of them are at least 30 years older then I am. How is there anything wrong with this? If you are limiting your circle of friends based solely on age, you need to get out into the real world more, where age doesn't make as much of a difference as it does in high school or even college...

A bit older and old enough to be your father are way different things.

DoingItWrong 0

[(Oldest person's age) / 2] + 7 = (Minimum Socially Acceptable Age of the Youngest Person)

Using that equation, a 20 year old can date a 17 year old, whereas an 80 year old can date a 47 year old. Everyone's berating this chick for dating a man that is presumably 17-18 years older than herself, but a 33 year age difference is acceptable? BTW...my new husband is 28. I am 34. My mother's husband, my stepdad, is also 34, and my mom is 52 (looks 40 though). He's 6 months older than me. Within legal boundaries, age is no one's business but the couple's. If a legal adult wants to date someone twice or even 3 times his or her age, then so be it. Unorthodox, and in some situations, it can be creepy, but still no one's business unless a law is being broken.

ur a bit and my a bit are totally different. discusting

African_diva 0

sweetie. don't you think "a bit" is over exaggerating?... sounds like he's old enough to b your father. if not more. #6 great definition!!!!

Well I think it's a bit weird that you hadn't asked your boyfriend before meeting the daughter how old she was. If a new boyfriend told me he had kids, that would've been one of my first questions.

flyintonite 0

I'm going to assume OP is mid twenties b/c I'm assuming that your boyfriend had a kid when he was 16 (at youngest). Now, b/c she is a year older than you and frankly it'd be real creepy to date a much older man in your teens so I'll assume your 22-23 (out of college age, college chicks don't do the bf thing) so that would make your bf with a 24 y/o daughter 36, so it's not horrendous but it'll raise more than a few eyebrows. YDI though for lying to yourself how much older he is than you.

"college chicks don't do the bf thing"?? I had a boyfriend within 6 months of finishing highschool & starting university, we dated for 3 years then got married. Three of my best friends did the same thing. Several more of my other friends have, too. Yup... college chicks don't do the bf thing. also, you fail at maths. If the guy was 16 when he had his daughter, then if she was 24 he'd be 40... not 36.

No, he's saying if you were 22-23 he'd be 38-39. Which isn't that horrible, the older you get the smaller the age difference seems.

flyintonite 0

#46 right about my math... its 38-39 but please don't think your in the majority b/c of 3-4 ppl you know dating in college. College girls (at least in the northeast) are usually just looking for a good time nothing serious. That's all I have to say on this

kaleid0scopeEyes 0

you cant categorize all college girls in the northeast. that's a lot of girls.

i think that we are all assuming it is his biological daughter. maybe she is a step-daughter or who knows? and it seems that we are assuming it is the OP who never thought to ask about her boyfriend's daughters age. what if the boyfriend didn't mention he had a daughter because she was older than his girlfriend and figure that she would be freaked out by it. also, i know several people who date men that are 10+ years older than them while they are in their 20's and have very happy relationships. women mature faster than men anyway.

Neither can most women under 30. And laying there isn't *******. The OP is an idiot, and the guy likes women his daughter's age. Hmmm... nothing creepy there, eh?

LOL! Women mature faster than men? Physically, perhaps, because the changes are more obvious, but mentally? Thinking women mature faster than men doesn't make it so; that's an oft-perpetuated fallacy. I'd be curious to know how old you are, that you think that.