By Leyla - 27/10/2015 01:23 - United States - Franklin

Today, my boyfriend and I respectfully asked my landlady if he could stay with me until he gets back on his feet. He was robbed at gunpoint in his house last night. Landlady then yelled because we aren't married, and then showed up at my door at 10pm, "just making sure John isn't here". FML
I agree, your life sucks 24 400
You deserved it 1 891

Same thing different taste

Top comments

lexiieeex3 32

I would've just had him just stay with you and not tell the landlady, she sounds batshit.

You have rights as a tenant. She cannot show up and demand entrance, that's an invasion of your privacy. Read your lease or renters contract and see what privileges you have or don't. My advice, keep him very quiet and hidden and she'll never know.

Comments

I'm assuming it's a house/apartment and not a room for rent considering she showed up at your door. Is it against your rent agreement to have another person there? If not, then you should have him stay there.

I'm pretty sure she can't stop you from having overnight guests in the short-term at least. You do have tenant rights.

I'm a Christian and still don't understand... That's mentioned nowhere in the bible, it's not like you guys HAD to sleep together, so there isn't a problem. Your landlady is probably just crazy...

There's no ******* curfew!! She can't just do that, try not to bitch her out though or she could just kick you right the hell out.

I don't know about the US but in the UK the landlord/lady can't turn up without giving prior notice (it is like 24 or 48 hours notice or something). As #6 said - you have rights. My advice would be to go to your local authority and report it or get proof she is turning up without notice and say 'this is unacceptable'.

mamasquirrel78 2

Well, they can show up whenever and knock on the door. But to actually go into the apartment, they have to give notice. Also, these laws differ by area. In some places, it's whatever you agree to when you sign the lease which is why you should read it completely before signing it.

seepin 7

Hallie William's: what's the problem?

thatonetribute 31

She doesn't own you! You don't even have to ask her.

She sure as hell has authority over who stays in her apartments! The landlady has every right to enforce those rules...and I'm thinking there is a policy for guests, otherwise why would OP ask in the first place? Showing up without warning is a bit far and probably illegal (no way to be certain because we don't have all the details), but OP has no right to bend the rules like that. Renting an apartment is a privilege, so tenants have to abide by the rules or face the consequences if they're caught violating them. While I do sympathize with OP and her boyfriend, this is a two-way-street situation. Both she and the landlady could get in trouble for violating rules!

If it specifically says in the lease she can't have overnight guests, then she can't do anything about it. But if it doesn't she can have him stay. I had a friend going through financial troubles and he slept on my couch for six months. My ex used to spend the night 5-6 nights a week. My current boyfriend does the same. If it's not in writing, the landlady doesn't have a leg to stand on.

hilamonster06 21

landlady or landlord? You say landlady and then refer the the person as he and him. Nobody else caught that? that's a total mind ****. Get your facts straight.

I caught your two "the"'s, definitely more mind-screwing than the FML itself.

TeacherTeacher 11

You have terrible reading comprehension.

leogachi 15

@30 The he/him refers to the boyfriend. She asked if her boyfriend can stay for a while because the boyfriend got robbed at gunpoint in the boyfriend's home.