By yellowthumb - 03/05/2017 20:00

Today, my boyfriend admitted that he regularly pees in our vegetable garden "to give the plants nitrates". FML
I agree, your life sucks 4 585
You deserved it 576

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Nitrates, sure, but what about electrolytes? *That's* what plants crave!

It's not like the plants are soaking in and retaining urine. They're only soaking in what they need and would be getting elsewhere. As long as you wash them, it'll be good. Though, I'd be more worried about him burning tender plants, he has no way of checking his PH!

Comments

Nitrates, sure, but what about electrolytes? *That's* what plants crave!

Yeah, like erm why give them water it's out of the toilet. Brawndo's got what plants crave!

so he needs to piss in some gatorade first?

and hes totally okay with eating them?

Isa_fml 20

Not saying he should pee in the garden, but... you know you can WASH veggies before eating them, right?

It's not like the plants are soaking in and retaining urine. They're only soaking in what they need and would be getting elsewhere. As long as you wash them, it'll be good. Though, I'd be more worried about him burning tender plants, he has no way of checking his PH!

Did you tell him it needs to age first, so he should be peeing on the compost pile?

It's actually quite common for gardeners and farmers to do this. I'm pretty sure it's illegal in most countries, but it does happen. As long as you wash the vegetables (as you should do anyway) it'll be fine.

Wow i am vegan! And this is just a plain asshole! Disgusting

Kaalschneid 21

I'm not a vegan, and I don't approve this message either. This is food, pissing on a cow or steak isn't any better. The fact you're a vegan (and told us) is irrelevantly stereotypical. Do you cross-fit, too? Are you a non-majority religion believer?

Lucky O'Guin 18

Like animals don't pee and poo on your garden anyway? Do you ever eat rice? Do you know that rice imported from Asia is fertilized with human poo? They call it night soil. Lots of people pee outside, on their gardens or no. I don't even know why this is an FML.

Beware, that can make your veggies make you very very sick. Much like watering them with greywater or sewage, it's the worst thing you can do to stuff you want to eat. Thankfully, urine on its own isn't so bad. But too much will cause serious harm. For the same reason you should only drink your piss once in a survival situation, I beg you to make sure if he's peed more than 5 times on them DO NOT EAT THEM. Your body is getting rid of those toxins for a reason! More than that, to all the people saying to just wash them: Look at what happened to the plants from China watered with sewage. People got ******* salmonella from rockmelon and hepatitis from frozen veggies, this is no laughing matter, they DO take in all that nasty crap with the water!

Urine shouldn't contain bacteria though. In fact, if they do, it's a sign of bladder infection. The issues in China are more likely due to feces or whatever else people dump in the sewer. (Random thought: Maybe bacteria in the puke of people with food poisoning is part of the cause)

ACCOUNTKILLER 18

Urine should be fermented for at least 6 months before being used as fertilizer :/ Generally, it's fine though