By Jobless - 12/03/2009 09:01 - Malaysia

Today, my boss wanted to promote me to a managerial position. I declined the position, saying that I don't think I'm ready and experienced enough for that role. I was then fired instead for not accepting the promotion. I was fired for being honest. FML
I agree, your life sucks 60 710
You deserved it 26 535

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Why would anyone in their right mind deny themselves a promotion? You doughnut.

UltimateIdiot911 0

You deserved it. You weren't fired for being honest, you were fired because you fail to take charge. If you didn't feel ready you should have accepted it and ask for training. Obviously your former boss asked you because he feels you are ready, so what you did is a slap in his face.

Comments

I had a horrible boss whose managing tactics were always aggressive. We had a high turnover of 2 people resigning per month on average. One day she told me since X has left, she wanted to promote me. I will be doing X's job plus mine which means managing 2 branches. It was first presented as an option.. she was selling it to me as if this was what i was working towards (not). I told her I would like to think about it. When I finally said no, the very next day, she rang me and said 'actually.. you will accept this 'promotion' because you are contracted to cover any ad hoc duties.' I replied 'Fine if I must but next time, don't present with an option I am forced to take on.' That same week I resigned, 3 more people did the same. So no, not all promotions are beneficial. The managing director stepped in and met up with me to stop me from leaving and was offering to cover my cab to and from work if I stayed.. I politely declined but I told him the truth about the horrivle woman.

Actually, studies show that many people are promoted one step too far. Do a good job - get promotion, until you reach a level where you don't excel. Either you weren't ready for the job and your boss should thank you for not letting him make a mistake or you were just lacking confidence wich it would then be his job to instill in you. Stupid boss.

no, you were fired because youre an idiot. no one in their right mind turns down a promotion. what the hell?

no you were fired for being an idiot. no one with half a brain would turn down a promotion.