By anonymous - 29/03/2012 15:42 - United States - Houston

Today, my boss pulled me aside to chastise me for being "off task" because I was chatting with a co-worker while working on a project. She then spent a half hour chatting with the same person about what daycare she should go to for her new baby. FML
I agree, your life sucks 24 870
You deserved it 2 233

Same thing different taste

Top comments

KeannaLove 32

Bosses these days. They yell at you for one thing, and then go to the same. Let all their power go to their head.

perdix 29

You expect that you and your boss are supposed to be held to the same standard? You're not going to get very far in business. It's double-standards like this that make low-level cube monkeys aspire to become bosses.

Comments

Yeah, that sucks, but hardly the only "do as I say not as I do" you'll come across in life. Granted, she could argue that getting a day care recommendation is important to her working life, but it still doesn't look good.

If I found out that one of my employees was questioning my work ethic, that person would be fired faster than you can say "insubordination". There's a reason that bosses are bosses and employees are employees. You don't have to think it's fair, but you DO have to work within those confines. And then you can bitch about how unfair it is on FML.

You do realize that in most states you can be sued for firing a person for questioning you, right? Unlawful termination. Insubordination is when they refuse to do their job. Not when they question their boss' work ethic.

Oh shit man. I might listen to the guy correcting you Doc. He IS (J)Webster after all.

Well having been given the chance to sue a boss for that once can teach you a thing or two. I get to stay home with my kids now.:-)

Jwebster - I'm not a lawyer (thank Jebus), but I am a boss. From what I understand (in your country, at least) it depends on your particular state's at-will employment law. In some states your boss can basically fire you for any reason at any time (as long as no laws are violated). So in some circumstances, firing an employee for insubordination is perfectly legitimate.

You forgot "seems legit" on your profile Doc!!!!

I don't think any boss would say 'you are fired because you questioned me'. they would just find a different reason to fire them and do it the next chance they got. it happens all the time!

No retaliation may happen, but suddenly those thing you use to get away with (extra 5 minutes on lunch, etc) are gone. If you wanna rat out your boss, they can make your life hell through work to rule.

39, Doc, that would make you one shitty boss. I don't care how good you may be in technical skills, you'll find in a managerial position skills in team leadership, communication, conflict resolution and understanding are more important. You sound like the sort of person that would perpetuate a bad work ethic, and therefore lower the quality of the work by your employees. Nothing causes disinterest and lack of attention in employees like the "I'm the boss so do as I say, minion" attitude that you clearly have.

She can do that. She's the boss. She makes more an has a higher education. She's pretty much a better person then you and you are her bitch. Get over it. You suck at life

nofearjenshere 12

Just because she's OP's boss, doesn't necessarily mean that she has a higher education than the OP. They could have the same amount of education or it is even possible for OP to have even more education than her.

Mommyof2_91 10

Not always true... In some places of employment the boss doesn't even need college, while the employees have received college education.

My old boss had NO EXPERIENCE working in the job field. She was a student with less credits than me. She literally only got the job because her dad was friends with the owner of the business. Within a year she quit cause she couldn't handle the job. Ended up working at McDonalds. They then offered the job to an ILLEGAL immigrant when I declined due to pay sucking( minimum wage for employees, $.50 for supervisors). Needless to say I no longer work there.

How do you know her boss has a better education then OP? Her boss could have Been working there her whole life and would is it really necessary to add the text "your her bitch? seriously man stop being a slice of cockloaf.

Mommyof2_91 10

P.s. You seem like a very ignorant individual.

This comment is more interesting when read in a sarcastic tone. I hope you meant it that way.

now you file complaint of your boss to upper boss

unfortunately that would do nothing except make op's boss dislike her even more and find more petty things to bitch about. Unless they were talking about a finding a daycare for the new baby that she stole from someone else, i doubt the higher ups will give a damn. it will just bring negative attention to OP. she should find a clever way to get back at her. Or just be as nice as possible to her, kill her with kindness. its hard to be a bitch to someone who is so nice.

BunBunBabe 8

Someone's on their period this week... And I think it's OPs boss

That might be bad if the boss is PREGNANT! **** period she has a whole different kind of PMS.

Menstruation doesn't make you a hypocrite with double standards. Being a hypocrite with double standards makes you a hypocrite with double standards.

BunBunBabe 8

Yeah I'm thinking OPs boss just literally wanted to be a bitch... Hence her knowingly doing the same thing she yelled at her for RIGHT in front of her. She might be the boss but she still has to show good leadership skills to keep her job

Lol what a crazy boss. Probably bitchy because she has a baby. That usually happens. From what I've noticed.

VasilisaUzhasnaj 29

Yeah, I'm getting this very same shit at work lately myself. I work an overnight stocking job. We're always faster when we talk and have something to break the depressing monotony. Our newish bosses lately are terrible and act like spiteful children. Anytime someone opens their mouths, the bosses make a scene and move them far away from the group, yet it's perfectly alright when they get bored from standing around all night watching us work, and start bugging random people for conversation. Which is actually incredibly distracting. But chin up, OP, at least you didn't get an office talking-to for calling off due to work-related injury like I did!