By that violates the Geneva conventions - 05/08/2016 09:33 - United States - Simi Valley

Today, my boss ordered me to read the Twilight series in order to determine if they are "appropriate" for his daughter to read. I'm a 25-year-old bank teller, and I definitely don't remember this in my job description. FML
I agree, your life sucks 15 455
You deserved it 989

Same thing different taste

Top comments

If it's an order from your boss then presumably you can read the books at work on full pay? Although personally I'd rather be working!

I've known sadistic bosses, but that takes the cake! Any chance you can tell yours that based on what you've heard, those books aren't appropriate for anyone to read?

Comments

I've known sadistic bosses, but that takes the cake! Any chance you can tell yours that based on what you've heard, those books aren't appropriate for anyone to read?

Just go to common sense media. It'll tell you all the negative and positive influences in the book regarding role-models, sex, drugs, alcohol, language, etc. including excerpts that include these bits.

Not to mention the references to rape, a man and his father figure wanting to drug a woman and force abortion on her, controlling abusive relationships, racism, religion, and being overall poor in quality.

The fact 50 Shades of Grey used to be a Twilight fanfiction just proves the above to be honest with you

Depends how old she is. I think for ages 14 up they are fine. But there is the part where Jacob kisses Bella against her will to show her they are meant to be together and she just doesn't know it. She punches him, hurts herself and her dad high fives him when he tells him why she hurt her arm. Then she realises Jacob was 'right' and that she didn't realise her feelings until he kissed her. But that now Edward came she loves him more. Jacob also uses a lot of emotional blackmail on her - making her feel really bad just because he likes her and she doesn't like him romantically. He doesn't really take no for an answer and this is shown as romantic to an extent. I strongly dislike Jacob. Generaly the books are ok, just make the boss aware that that part is not okay (the book doesn't exactly condone it but it certainly doesn't condemn it either.)

Should have just saved the daughter from herself and said that no, they are not appropriate and she should stay away.

The Twilight series isn't appropriate for anyone!

Your relationship with your boss is a better love story than twilight

If it's an order from your boss then presumably you can read the books at work on full pay? Although personally I'd rather be working!

I hate bosses like that who take the piss. I hope you are at least getting paid for it

It depends on how sensible his daughter is! If I had a daughter and she wanted to read it I'd use it as a teaching opportunity to talk about healthy relationships. When I was growing up I was a virulent reader and appreciated my parents not limiting me but encouraging me to challenge what I read instead. Basically your boss is missing out.

I'll save you the trouble: Edward's a creep, the portrayal of the Native American characters is vaguely racist (or, in the words of a friend of mine who is Native American, "absolute shit"), and the writing is terrible.

Short version : Today, my boss ordered me to read the Twilight series. It was good enough for me to vote I agree your life sucks!!