By Paul - 02/05/2013 01:52 - United States

Today, my boss called me into his office. After yelling and firing me, his assistant comes in telling him he had mistaken me for someone else. He did not give me my job back, as he claimed it would make an awkward work environment. FML
I agree, your life sucks 54 063
You deserved it 2 613

Same thing different taste

Top comments

You can use the assistant as a witness and sue your boss for Wrongful Termination

Some how I think the assistant will "dis-remember".

Comments

TheyCallMeDamien 17

You should've told him a lawsuit would be even more awkward.

workers rights were violated you need to call the attorney general of your state or county

ViviMage 38

Awkward yea. But you likely can fight it and either j Get your job back or a settlement where you won't need that job.

IantoJones_fml 28

At least where I live, it's my (possibly incorrect) understanding that many places (including the one where I live) have "at-will" employment. That means that, unless the OP can show proof of anything actionable (such as racial, or gender, or age, or disability, or in some places, orientation or other protected categories etc. discrimination), then their employment may have been bi-laterally "at-will". The rules governing such are meant to protect both parties -- they prevent any legal necessity for tendering notice to leave a position in the case of either an untenable work environment or a more lucrative opportunity arising, and likewise, they (unfortunately in this case) allow an employer to divest themselves of any employee that they decide it would be in the organization's best interest to be shut of. I'm in no way siding with the incredible jerk who harmed the OP, just seriously questioning whether the OP would have any *legal* recourse, in an at-will environment.

amayasoma 19

36 - What if he only has a son?

That really sucks. Your boss sounds like he's an ass with too much pride. He should just admit he made a mistake. FYL

Get lawyer to write a letter to his superiors and hr. it'll scare them shitless. Or you know demand for your severance pkg if you're entitled to one.

If he only has a son that will just increase the awkwardness!