By SantaClaus - 02/11/2013 04:19 - United States - San Francisco

Today, my 8-year-old came home from school crying. Apparently her teacher told the whole class to write about how they felt when they learned that Santa Claus and the Tooth Fairy weren't real. FML
I agree, your life sucks 59 605
You deserved it 6 010

Same thing different taste

Top comments

even worse. my 5 year old nephew had the same experience. his teacher had the same assignment and got the whole class in tears because they all still believed in santa

My sisters are ten and they still believe, so that was a major bitchmove.

Comments

It's a horrible thing to tell a child! Although when I went to secondary school we were in religious studies and our teacher said "By now you all should know that Santa isn't real." Well, all of us knew except this one girl. She cried.

and thats whats wrong with this world people just want to make others cry

Everybody on here seems a bit harsh. It's an honest mistake. Why is it such a big deal to have our kids believe these stories anyway? I know it was fun and everything but I don't remember being devastated when I realized it wasn't real.

cryssycakesx3 22

I definitely agree. if parents didn't make up these wild stories to tell kids, it's one less "heart crushing" (apparently popular consensus is that it's some sort of devastating traumatic thing) they would have to go to. I've never believed in that junk and Christmas was still just as good. teach your kids what Christmas is really about.

Don't see what the big deal is about discovering that Santa and the Tooth Fairy aren't real either. I found out by myself and didn't really care at all. In some cases I was even excited, like when I discovered that the Easter Bunny wasn't real, because I could participate (I hid the eggs and chocolates. Made me so excited!) To be honest, I felt more betrayed when I found out that there were negative numbers. THAT was heartbreaking.

I never believed in Santa, not when I was little either. I knew the light outside was a plane, not a reindeer. I knew when the cookies were gone it was b.c of my parents. But I never ruined it for my little brother, and back in the day, I didn't like my younger brother too much. Why didn't I ruin it? Because it was fun for my mom and dad to do all this for us. My parents got so excited when we both could grasp a Santa concept. Lying? Yeah, they did lie, and I didn't believe them, but I played along and I had so much fun. I celebrated with my brother and parents every Christmas, until he was 10. You don't like Santa, or the tooth fairy? Don't teach your children the stories as real, don't celebrate Christmas as if Santa is apart of it. Many families take him out of Christmas, for many different reasons. But be prepared to tell your kids about the one's that do believe, and tell them not to ruin it for them. Or not, and then expect a phone call from an unhappy parent with a sobbing child. Or risk your child not being friends with someone they use to hang out with all the time, once Christmas rolls around. You have the ability to not teach you children something. But when it comes to holidays and how people celebrate them, have the courtesy to teach your children why it shouldn't be ruined for those that celebrate differently from your family.

#115, It's because you figured it out on your own. Big difference. But I do agree with you, finding out about negative numbers was such a shocker in my school career. Little me in 2nd grade, finds out you can subtract 11 from 5, and it's -6. Made no since, how could you have amount less than 0. I can't not own 6 apple, ah, but you can owe them. Cruel, cruel. That ladies and gentlemen is how we learned about debt, with negative numbers.

I learned about it as holes - 3 is 3 bears, -2 is 2 holes big enough for bears. Add them and you get 2 hikes filled with bear, and one bear left over. Great book called from nought to relativity. Must have been 7 or 8 at the time.

Really? I could punch you. Why are you judging what other people believe in? Stop talking out your ass, as that's obviously where your head is stationed.

That's going to make for an interesting time when all those parents turn up for parent-teacher night.

Why would you tell your children fairy tales? It's almost as bad as telling them there's a god.