By frenchfrypotater - 24/09/2009 23:50 - United States

Today, it was our wedding anniversary. My husband takes me and our young son to a family-style chain restaurant. Hoping for a little romance, I ask him what he's excited about in our future, and he says how we shouldn't eat out like this anymore so we can afford to pay our income taxes. FML
I agree, your life sucks 30 615
You deserved it 4 276

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Unromantic, but wanting to make ends meet shows he at least cares about your well being. Guy probably has a lot on his mind and you two should have a talk about making changes to both your lifestyles so he can be at ease.

Comments

Why is the son at a romantic anniversary dinner? Romantic doesn't usually involve kids or other people, just the Couple.

If they can barely afford the dinner there's a pretty good chance they cannot afford a baby sitter

babysitters are expensive, a lot of people dont live near family that will do it for free. and those fancy, romantic restaurants that most couples try to go to for their anniversary aren't exactly kid-friendly. if we had had to take our kids to dinner with us on our anniversary, we wouldnt have gone to the restaurant we did.

amatayo 0

your husband understands I guess more so then you, the situation that you all are in

I agree with this guy. Oh gee, let's cry because we can't go out somewhere nice for our anniversary. Oh wait, we're so broke we can't even pay our taxes, so we SHOULDN'T go out somewhere nice. It's called a budget, folks. I agree, he should've budgeted for something nicer, but she needs to realize the situation they are in and that maybe her husband is right about cutting back. I think the FML here is that he is clearly the only one who understands their true financial situation.

jdkfgkjdfb 0

A family-style chain restaurant for your anniversary? F Your Life. I agree with #43.

YDI, who gets all romantic in front of their kids?

Hahaha, annivers-OWNED!! By the way, you're sentence structure is all messed up because everyone thinks you're talking about the son, which I guess you went home and bow chick wah wah-ed silly!

yeah... men don't get it sometimes. i know sometimes my husband will ome out with stuff about finances or something similar at the WRONG time. FYL for him messing up your romantic attempt, but know that you husband isnt the only man out there that struggles with romantic moment.

Perhaps if womens expectations were more grounded and realistic...and they communicate clearly instead of hinting at what they want....their men won't "mess up" so much.

there is No reason they couldnt have enjoyed that meal without that comment. he Messed UP their dinner. it was unneeded and the completely wrong moment to say that. why not bring it up the next day and say something like "i had a great time at dinner last night, but we do need to kind of back off on eating out so much"....? i am realistic in my expectations of my husband. i understand he isnt a hopeless romantic.. i knew this long before i married him. i dont EXPECT men to be as into romance as some women are. i dont think her asking what he sees in their future is her Hinting at something she wants.

If I were that guy, my answer would be, "That I'm one year closer to the sweet release of death."

It's not very romantic, but give him some credit for thinking intelligently.

move to Florida. no income tax there. that's why star athletes like to live there.

Florida has income tax. We just don't have to pay state taxes.

OK a "family-style chain restaurant" usually amounts to Bob Evans or Cracker Barrel...not some expensive fancy place. So I doubt this was a hugely costly (or much romantic) outing. But, OP, because you're from California, do this: Tell the Governator that you can't pony up right now, but you'll "totally do it later...here's an IOU!"