By Anonymous - 16/01/2014 01:57 - United States - Philadelphia

Today, it was my first day at my new school. I've never been the new girl before, so I asked my best friend for advice. She said, "Whatever you do, do not, under any circumstances, be yourself." FML
I agree, your life sucks 48 180
You deserved it 5 492

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Indianboy9321 25

In my experience, my best friend(s) are usually the ones that can joke slightly harshly with me without anyone taking offense, so I wouldn't take it to heart. Just be a nice, genuine person and you will have friends in no time!

A little advice from someone who went to a few different high schools. Always be who you are, everyone knows when you're putting on an act.

Comments

They really don't seem like your best friend after all now, do they? Be yourself. Always. We do try to put our best foot forward when starting with new people or situations; it seems to an impulse in myself at least. And keep an open mind and observe as well. Best of luck. :)

Well don't lie about yourself or pretend you have a completely different personality, but if you're typically shy, quiet, and reserved, then try to open up, branch out, smile, talk to people, etc. If this means you have to fake confidence and an outgoing personality, then so be it. It's not lying; it's called putting your best foot forward.

That's why the very thought of school makes my skin crawl.

That's not very nice, but you did ask for advice, and being a best friend, she was truthful

buttcramp 21

maybe your friend was trying to encourage you to reinvent yourself at this new school

In my early childhood I was happy because I was allowed to be myself, even if I did seem odd sometimes. Then you hit adolescence and suddenly it's the equivalent of having the plague. The fact that I have Asperger's, or ASD as the Americans call it for some reason, and wouldn't be diagnosed with it until my mid-20's also really didn't help. That's right, I have Asperger's, come and get me trolls.