By Anonymous - 25/04/2019 04:00

Today, it's been a week and a half since our hot water stopped working. Our landlord said he'll get on to it "in 3 days", after having said this already a few days before. I have to wash myself with a bucket and boiled water. FML
I agree, your life sucks 2 059
You deserved it 168

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Contact the health dept. and ask for a break on the rent next month.

STFU01 14

Go to a truck stop and pay for a shower. Then start looking for a new apartment. They can't hold you to a lease if the hot water is not working.

Comments

Contact the health dept. and ask for a break on the rent next month.

STFU01 14

Dream on... The health department gives zero ***** about your situation. Move to another place ASAP

STFU01 14

Go to a truck stop and pay for a shower. Then start looking for a new apartment. They can't hold you to a lease if the hot water is not working.

manb91uk 22

You should be legally allowed to withold some, or all, if the rent when basic amenities and repairs are not carried out in a timely manner. I suggest you put it to him in writing that you will be doing just that.

In some jurisdictions, you can stay at a hotel until the landlord fixes the issue that makes your residence unlivable (no hot water would qualify), and you can deduct the costs incurred, including having to eat out, from rent. And as others have said, it usually allows you to terminate the lease without penalty.

Ugh, been there, done that. It really sucks. I hope your landlord gets his shit together soon.

Guys, witholding the rent without proper notice is illegal, akin to chopping to pieces the guy who stole your car. However, calling a plumber and sending your landlord the bill is totally legal. You can also call a locksmith if you don't have the key to the room where the water boiler is.

It sucks but maybe start looking into recourse and fix your situation instead of being on FML?

1. It’s the landlord who’s not doing anything, not OP. 2. Don’t assume that OP is doing nothing because they’re on here. Making a post does not imply not taking action. Idk why people think that’s a thing now.

More than ten days without water - they're clearly not doing enough to get themselves out of the situation. FML won't help.

bl3ur0z3 17

Get a $10 membership at a gym and go take a real shower.