By Anonymous - 16/01/2016 05:52 - United States - San Francisco

Today, I woke up to fresh coffee, pancakes, and the sight of my dad digging a grave in the backyard for my dog. FML
I agree, your life sucks 24 191
You deserved it 1 295

Same thing different taste

Top comments

When I was younger, we had a dog. He got old, and developed a tumor in his spine, which led to paralysis. It started slowly. At first he just dragged his back foot along the ground. We thought he'd just hurt is foot at some point, and decided to monitor it. But the paralysis got worse. It went up his leg, and then spread to his other foot and leg. Although he seemed happy enough, he couldn't walk, and when he did move, he dragged himself around. But mainly he was carried everywhere. Because of his age and the cost of the test to see if it would be worth operating, the decision was made to put him down. My parents organised the fateful day with the vet. My mum had decided she wanted to bury him in yard, and plant a tree or shrub there. So the day before our dog was due to be put down, dad went outside to dig a hole. It was a sunny day, so our dog laid out there too. Our dog watched his own grave get dug.

Sorry for your loss. Losing a pet is like losing a family member.

Comments

At least he made you coffee, it helps.

BamBAmGG 14

Your dad seems like a really genuine man that cares very much for your well being and seems to be trying to make your heartache easier to deal with. Sorry for your loss OP, my heart hurts for you.

TAntobella 14
Big_Bear99 19

Always a bad day. Sorry for your loss.

ohgoodlordjen 16

Sorry to hear about your dog... But you do have a dad that cares and hopeful he'll help you pick out a new dog when you're ready

When my mom died I had to move out on my own for the first time (I had been living with her to save up money after a really messy breakup, after living with my first boyfriend). My now husband and I had gotten engaged a month before she passed, but he had long ago made arrangements to move to the other side of the country to try to improve our chances of getting me down there sooner by getting a good job. (I'm Canadian born, he's American). Essentially I was alone... My family was no help whatsoever to me, they had their own shit to deal with, and my fiancé and I saw each other exactly two times that entire first year. I became very depressed over the next few months. Between losing my mom and essentially my fiancé within the span of two months, I was overwhelmed. I made it through because I discovered that I'm stronger than I or anyone else gave me credit for, but soon after my fiancé had left I found myself wanting to adopt a pet, maybe a cat. It just made sense at the time. The big guy in my picture became my best friend and companion. Our connection was instant. He helped me when I was at my lowest. I remember one night I was lying in bed, just... Letting the tears roll down my face. He was lying in the bed with me but he's not a snuggly lap cat, understand, he just likes being *near* people. I remember he reached over and put his paw on my arm and just held it there quietly until I calmed down enough to finally fall asleep. I'm truly sorry for your loss OP... It doesn't get better, but you eventually learn to live with that hole in your heart.