By LaineyLove - 09/05/2009 07:05 - United States

Today, I went to the doctor. For the past year, my stomach would get upset every time I ate. Attempting to ease the pain, I would always eat a piece of bread. My doctor told me I have Celiac disease, which means I'm allergic to gluten. I'm allergic to bread. FML
I agree, your life sucks 55 536
You deserved it 8 208

LaineyLove tells us more.

I'm the one who wrote the FML. I'll clear some things up for those of you who think I deserved it. The FMLs have to be short so I couldn't write the whole story. My main symptoms were severe joint and muscle pain along with cramping and headaches. The stomach pain was constant, not just when I ate bread. I had a hard time even digesting vegetables. I went to doctors practically every week and scoured the internet. I was finally "diagnosed" with fibromyalgia and IBS. My first Celiac blood test came back negative, but finally my gastroenterologist figured it out. I'm now gluten-free, and I'm feeling much better (although hungry). And I'm a pre-med student, so I'm not an idiot. I saw at least 5 different doctors and specialists. I even went to Mayo Clinic. Celiac can be a very difficult diagnosis as the symptoms are often non-specific. Thanks for all the tips on gluten-free food. It's time for me to start cooking!

Top comments

fretforyerlatte 0

that does suck. but. didn't the bread just make you feel worse? and if so, why did you keep eating it each time?

Linesksc 0

Im sorry... I know what that one is like... they thought I had that too. There are plenty of support groups out there, and a lot of alternatives.. keep your head up!!!!

Comments

My mom has Celiac. There are a lot of foods made gluten free, and they are good. It's not the end of the world.

It sounds like diabetes. Is it related to that?

# 136, nope. gluten is a protein in wheat, barley, and rye. to OP: join the club. this is my 9th year as a diagnosed celiac. its actually very common, about 1 per 150. and there is good deserts out there. the best mixes are from "The Gluten Free Pantry" the brownies are ******* awesome. to all jackasses saying its no big deal: you are right, the food that we have to eat isnt that bad, its having to bring your own ******* food everywhere, its not being able to go out with your friends for pizza without bringing something you can eat, its missing childhood foods like "nana's apple cake" and celebratory foods like birthday cake and matzah balls, its not being able to taste a friends food without asking the waiter what is in it or reading an ingredient label. in general, the big deal is that it is way that you are set apart from everyone else

hey i know what you mean. i was going to doctors twice a week with muscle pains in my legs trying to treat it with stim etc. Thankfully I only went through 4 months until they diagnosed me. Definitely try the kinnikinnick bread, the tinkyada pastas, and the sansgluten bagels, enviro kids cereals... i would highly recommend toasting all breads that you eat. they become softer and they don't fall apart as easily. I also talked to the nutritionist at my college. Not sure if you're still in school but depending on what your dining halls offer, they might be able to help you out a ton. They ordered a bunch of cereal and breads and they make gluten free wraps for everyone at my school with the disease (which there are a lot). Also try out some of the oat things. I learned that some oats I can eat so maybe you can too! good luck with everything and watch out for fast food french fries, dressings, gravies/sauces, and some ice creams!

Hey #4 Dont be an idiot, its spelled two different ways. Celiac Sprue is proper. I have it too. (or had it, I was misdiagnosed for 17 years) anyways, im sorry to hear you have celiac, its a tough diet and if you are super strict like I was it makes it worse, but there are a lot of Gluten Free foods out there now considering Celiac is seen much more now and days. Good Luck to you...and if you have a Whole Foods or Trader Joes or any natural food store like that they have tons of Gluten Free Foods. Good Luck to you.

Awww, honey. That's tough. But they do sell things to replace. I'm still really sorry for you. I used to have stomach upset every time I ate. Turned out I just needed probiotic supplements and more yogurt. I'm a lot better now.

silly_lily1994 0

I have it too!!! It does suck, I would always eat pasta before I knew what it was, and it was horrible. And #4, most people just spell it celiac. There are multiple spellings; don't be rude.

Um... i did the exact same thing... for 21 years. going gluten-free was the best thing ever to happen to me... I have had many stomach issue FML moments over the years until i stopped eating gluten. best of luck! it gets easier in time.

...how did you wait a YEAR to goto the doctor...epic fail...