By LaineyLove - 09/05/2009 07:05 - United States

Today, I went to the doctor. For the past year, my stomach would get upset every time I ate. Attempting to ease the pain, I would always eat a piece of bread. My doctor told me I have Celiac disease, which means I'm allergic to gluten. I'm allergic to bread. FML
I agree, your life sucks 55 535
You deserved it 8 208

LaineyLove tells us more.

I'm the one who wrote the FML. I'll clear some things up for those of you who think I deserved it. The FMLs have to be short so I couldn't write the whole story. My main symptoms were severe joint and muscle pain along with cramping and headaches. The stomach pain was constant, not just when I ate bread. I had a hard time even digesting vegetables. I went to doctors practically every week and scoured the internet. I was finally "diagnosed" with fibromyalgia and IBS. My first Celiac blood test came back negative, but finally my gastroenterologist figured it out. I'm now gluten-free, and I'm feeling much better (although hungry). And I'm a pre-med student, so I'm not an idiot. I saw at least 5 different doctors and specialists. I even went to Mayo Clinic. Celiac can be a very difficult diagnosis as the symptoms are often non-specific. Thanks for all the tips on gluten-free food. It's time for me to start cooking!

Top comments

fretforyerlatte 0

that does suck. but. didn't the bread just make you feel worse? and if so, why did you keep eating it each time?

Linesksc 0

Im sorry... I know what that one is like... they thought I had that too. There are plenty of support groups out there, and a lot of alternatives.. keep your head up!!!!

Comments

you'll be fine i stoped eating wheat a few years ago and i feel much better. there are so many "fake foods" out there. some of them are even beter then the real thing!

#4-It is Celiac, not Coeliac I have a friend who has it, and its not the bad. Sort of like being on Passover all the time.

I went through the same thing when I was eight (I was the first in my family to show symptoms, but after that my family got tested, and pretty much everyone on my mom's side has it). Kinnikinnick, Pamela's, Annie's, and Whole Foods have a lot of great stuff. Home-made desserts are way better wheat-free, so that's a perk, haha. And #127, either name works, it's the same thing. Celiac is just more common.

i have celiac too. at least you (and me) aren't sick anymore. once you get used to it you'll see that life was a lot more hell being sick

cxal_fml 0

114, If your doctor told you to eat sticks of butter so you'll gain weight, you need a new doctor asap. I've lost 40 lbs since I started having to eat a diet thats almost fat, and the same will happen to anyone else who uses fat as the basis of their diet. When you replace carbs and sugar with fat, your liver thinks your starving, and so it uses your own fat stores rather than the sugar and carbs in your diet (which are almost nonexistant in a high fat diet). Thats why its great for weight loss, and unlike a low carb diet, you are never hungry on it because you can each as much as you want of anything allowed, and what you can eat is all very filling items like steak an educated doctor would know that telling you to eat a high fat diet would be putting you on a weight loss regime. Alot of people on the stricter seizure diets do eat several sticks of butter a day and they have to be carefully monitored to make sure they don't loose too much weight

It sucks. But to all the people making comments that she should have known, celiac is a really hard disease to figure out because the symptoms are so varied; my mom and brother have it and even doctors couldn't figure it out for a long time; lots of people go their whole lives without ever knowing.

TrevM 0

I'm sorry! I have problems with my stomach, too, so I know how awful that can be. Take care.

i have that too....it sucks so much but you kinda get used to it eventually : ( theres still a lot of regular food thats okay to eat. on the bright side you lose a ton of weight!

i know it really sucks but trust me it isnt that bad. my mom was diagnosed 8 years ago and her conditon was so bad that if they hadnt caught it in time she could have developed stomach cancer. this led the rest of my moms family to get tested and it turns out 2 of her 3 other siblings have it and her mother has it. it is hereditary so if you have any siblings r children, you should get them tested. i'm 15 years old and have been tested almost every year since i was 7. this really is a serious disease but it is treatable. if your looking for really good food, check out kinnickinick (i think thats how its spelt) i'm my moms guinea pig for if its like the real stuff or not. a lot of it is.. trustt me.. good luck through the whole processs. i know its draining and exasperating but i'm sure you'll pull through :)

captainmaharet 1

Can you eat rye? Rye is better than most other breads anyway.