By LaineyLove - 09/05/2009 07:05 - United States

Today, I went to the doctor. For the past year, my stomach would get upset every time I ate. Attempting to ease the pain, I would always eat a piece of bread. My doctor told me I have Celiac disease, which means I'm allergic to gluten. I'm allergic to bread. FML
I agree, your life sucks 55 536
You deserved it 8 208

LaineyLove tells us more.

I'm the one who wrote the FML. I'll clear some things up for those of you who think I deserved it. The FMLs have to be short so I couldn't write the whole story. My main symptoms were severe joint and muscle pain along with cramping and headaches. The stomach pain was constant, not just when I ate bread. I had a hard time even digesting vegetables. I went to doctors practically every week and scoured the internet. I was finally "diagnosed" with fibromyalgia and IBS. My first Celiac blood test came back negative, but finally my gastroenterologist figured it out. I'm now gluten-free, and I'm feeling much better (although hungry). And I'm a pre-med student, so I'm not an idiot. I saw at least 5 different doctors and specialists. I even went to Mayo Clinic. Celiac can be a very difficult diagnosis as the symptoms are often non-specific. Thanks for all the tips on gluten-free food. It's time for me to start cooking!

Top comments

fretforyerlatte 0

that does suck. but. didn't the bread just make you feel worse? and if so, why did you keep eating it each time?

Linesksc 0

Im sorry... I know what that one is like... they thought I had that too. There are plenty of support groups out there, and a lot of alternatives.. keep your head up!!!!

Comments

morgueprincess 0

For all of those saying fail about not going to the doctor, I lived with it for 17 years before being diagnosed. My pediatrician kept telling my parents my violent stomach aches were just typical childhood stomach aches. A specialist I was seeing for another condition when I was 17 took one look at me and told me I had a food allergy. It's tough to go gluten-free, but it's not so bad once you get used to it. Expensive as all get out though...

mech 0

My girlfriend has Crohn's disease. This has to be just as bad, though. Hers, she can't eat nuts, fruits or vegetables. She's also allergic to milk.

I love how much attention this has gotten! Its really exciting to know how many people actually know about Celiacs disease (btw its spelled so many differet ways and goes by so many different names that its pointless to debate). You are definately allowed this FML though. Having Celiacs can really suck, especially if youre diagnosed later in life. It makes the transition really hard! Luckily, I was correctly diagnosed (finally) when I was four. Even though the diet may seem tough and you will no doubt miss pop tarts and captain crunch, its worth it. Think, if you hadnt been diagnosed correctly you wouldve suffered so many more serious issues than bread withdrawl. Be thankful that you've been given this opportuinty to live a healthier life! A gluten free diet almost forces you to eat healthy, so losing weight or feeling healthy will be a *snap*! With experience I'm telling you, it really does suck. But with my life I'm telling you, its worth it.

randomsloth 0

you'd think that eating more bread would make it worse...thats odd that you didn't pick up on that hahahah or just retarded and why would you wait a year hahaha what if it had been a growing tumor and the doctor was like 'its been to long, your gonna die in a month' haha

Sound_Understood 0

I'm glad there are so many posts here, since at least a few of them should be providing good info. That being said, I'm amazed at the way people can somehow find fault with the things the original poster said. Someone I know was diagnosed last fall and she said that she used to always eat cream of wheat to try to settle her stomach, it's totally understandable. Anyway, celiac.com is a massive website with tons of articles and message boards and things with lots of resources. Also, if you ever watch The View, Elisabeth Hasselbeck has celiac and so they talk about it sometimes on the show. This is a clip of her talking about her new book: http://theyaketyyak.blogspot.com/2009/05/gluten-free-diet-bitsys-gluten-free.html which probably has the same info as a lot of other books, but it's someplace to start. This is a clip from a much older show with a doctor named Peter Green who has at least one book out, as well: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v-9U8GbLu0

Eresbel 0

Just FYI to the poster: You could have phrased the FML better even if you couldn't tell the whole story. For example, "Even though I was seeing doctors, it took a year to find out I was allergic to gluten. Up until my diagnosis, I had been eating bread after every meal to settle my stomach. FML" Also, if you suspected you had Celiac, why didn't you try cutting that out of your diet as much as possible? Being the big, smart med student you are?

Celiac isn't all that bad. actually you will loose lots of weight rather quickly and be feeling much better. checking labels is a bitch though

it took a year for you to go see a doctor after your stomach got upset every time you ate? smooth move!

LOL@ #111 "i have an intolerance, i don't actually have Celiac" celiac IS an intolerance, you should know that by now you have a sensitivity dumbass