By sick - 30/09/2009 15:12 - United States

Today, I went to the coffee shop for my usual morning latte before class. When I got my drink, I asked again to make sure it was soy. The barista assured me it was. It wasn't. I'm ridiculously lactose intolerant and just spent six hours throwing up because she was too lazy to correct her mistake. FML
I agree, your life sucks 46 444
You deserved it 3 866

Same thing different taste

Top comments

ghembob 2

I hope you went back, talked to her boss, and got her fired. Firing her is the least the boss can do considering the lawsuit you could have for what happened.

Comments

giggitygoo610 0

HAHA, that was NOT facepalm worthy! Awesome...

If I was so lactose intolerant I wouldn't take a chance by getting coffee at some coffee shop who knows some milk coulda accidently spilled into the coffee without u noticing ... D: umm think .

spartan_girl 0

OP, that really sucks. I'm mildly lactose intolerant, so if it's a case of "cross-contamination" with a pitcher or something, I'd be okay, but I'm assuming that that was probably what happened to you (unless you didn't notice that your latte tasted way off, because unless you get it loaded with lots of flavors, or drink it so hot you can't taste it, you would be able to tell the difference between soy and regular milk). You should really report this to the manager- don't take the angle of "give me something", because that will probably make them angry, but they need to know that something went wrong- I worked in a coffee shop in high school, and we all were told billions of times to make sure not to cross-contaminate cow and soy milk, and never, ever give someone who asks for decaf anything that has touched caffeine, just in case. The manager needs to know that something is going wrong so they can remind and/or tell employees how important this is, and if the same barista continues to mess up, she'll be fired. I worked with people who just didn't get it, and I had to stop people from handing out drinks that could have made someone sick multiple times, and then listen to the manager's speech time and again when someone messed up- but it's necessary, because like I said, some people just don't get it...

I really really hate when baristas are like that. I used to be a Barista and I loved making a correct drink. baristas should love thier job and want to be good at it. I'm truely sorry and I hope you talked to the manager and got that Barista fired!!

oh and you should watch them make it everytime.

snzmky 0

this happened to me today too, but I always watch them make my drink so I politely informed them that I had asked for a soy latte, explained I was lactose intolerant (I'm actually not really that intolerant, but I am vegan), and watched as they made my drink again properly.

sirknz 0

I read to latte and that was enough for me to click YDI.

Everyone saying she should have been able to taste the milk, think for a second. SHE'S LACTOSE INTOLERANT! It's likely she hasn't tasted milk since she was a baby. How can you recognize the taste of something you don't know?

what about the smell? soy smells very different than regular dairy.