By sick - 30/09/2009 15:12 - United States

Today, I went to the coffee shop for my usual morning latte before class. When I got my drink, I asked again to make sure it was soy. The barista assured me it was. It wasn't. I'm ridiculously lactose intolerant and just spent six hours throwing up because she was too lazy to correct her mistake. FML
I agree, your life sucks 46 444
You deserved it 3 866

Same thing different taste

Top comments

ghembob 2

I hope you went back, talked to her boss, and got her fired. Firing her is the least the boss can do considering the lawsuit you could have for what happened.

Comments

boolover 0

OMG i am to and i understand what you mean... i did that once but i forgot 2 ask for soy... i feel your pain i am sry that happened!

Isn't it awful? I'm lactose intolerant too. But you're lucky- kind of... When I get sick with it it's always bad cramps that feel like barbed wire is being pulled through my intestines, and wicked bad diarhhea, lol kind of gross, but true & certainly painful!

Definitely not saying that you deserved to be puking for five hours... that sucks. But think about it. Do you ever tip the people that make your coffee? And how much do you suppose she makes per hour? Probably minimum wage, or a server's wage. And she probably takes people's crap all day long, day in and day out. So, just a word of advice to everyone... treat the people who handle your food extra nicely and tip them more than just crappy nickels and pennies... they will remember you and bend over backwards for you if you do. No offense but I wouldn't blame the girl if she didn't care about her mistake enough to fix it. Also... soy milk has a very distinctive taste from real milk. Wouldn't you have noticed the difference if the soy milk is what you usually drink?

I know what you mean!! This happens to me ALL the time! Sucks! I guess the soy thing is just easy to forget or something.

You know, there's all these comments about the barista not being lazy or having a hard job/making server's wage or how the world doesn't stop for you blah blah blah. The reality, people, is if you're in the food service business, or any hospitality business, you can not be a jackass just because 'your life sucks'. If you don't like the job, the pay, the people, DON'T WORK THERE. GET ANOTHER FREAKIN' JOB. If that's too hard for you, then suck it up and do the job right. The OP had stated she asked the woman, AGAIN, to MAKE SURE the milk was soy, which obviously implies that she had specifically requested it. As a server, you CAN'T be too lazy to forget to check things like that. And cross contamination? Give me a break, you can taste the difference between regular milk and soy, even with just one sip. If she's allergic to it, one sip is all it takes. Plus, SHE'S A REGULAR. She clearly only order's soy milk every time she goes, so why should this time be any different? Go to the management, tell them, and yes, you can sue. If all food service places or cafes were allowed to do little things like that, it could present serious health issues to their customers. This server just sounds like a bad worker.

To everyone siding with the barista (unless for reasons other than 'shitty job' ) I worked in a coffee shop for 5 years, and hated every day of it. I didn't quit because I had some friends there, and because I couldn't be bothered to find a different job. I digress. I still did my best each day to fulfill the customers' orders, because that was my job. 'Shitty job' does not equal 'don't bother.' Whatever meager sum they are being paid, they get it for customer service; it's sad if they can't even properly earn minimum wage.

I had pretty much the same thing happen to me with pasta salad that had bacon in it. I have an intolerance to a preservative used in red meat. I don't have to be that careful about it, like I would if it were a serious nut allergy or anything. It's not like I can't eat anything that has ever been in the same room as the preservative - I just can't eat red meat itself. It would take some really over the top contamination to effect me in any way. So I went to a normally vegetarian friendly deli during lunch and asked if the pasta salad had any meat in it. The woman at the counter said, rather specifically after looking at what she was holding "oh no! this doesn't have any meat in it" Being one of the few veggie friendly places in town, they get questions like that a lot and cater to weird veggie customer like me. That's kind of what they're going for, so I assumed she knew what she was talking about. Also, I'd had pasta salad there before and it had never had meat. I was starving by the time I got it back to the office and scarfed down a few big bites before slowing down enoughto really raste it. Usually I pick through my food a bit to make sure, but I'd eaten at this place so often and was just too hurried to check properly. My bad there, I know. Yeah, it totally had bacon in it and I spent the rest of the day and all the following night with a horrible migraine. It is annoying when people in food service assume that you just think you're special and have silly little preferences, even though I'm always really nice about it and really thankful if they have to do anything the least bit special for me.

sarcdude 3

I'd say both FYL for the barista's lazy mistake, but also YDI for not mentioning you were lactose intolerant. However, I mostly blame the barista because it's her job to not be completely lazy as you are the customer, and to not assume that you wanted what you wanted just to be difficult.

bhomann 4

i would go back and complain