By bloodless - 05/01/2016 05:17 - Canada - Grande Prairie

Today, I went for bloodwork. It's routine for me, so I was ready for the nurse to put in the needle and take my blood. It went in fine, but right after, she slowly pulled the needle out, then wondered why the blood stopped. She then moved it back and forth in my arm while I panicked silently. FML
I agree, your life sucks 22 306
You deserved it 1 549

Same thing different taste

Top comments

You're a trooper. I would've screamed like a little bitch. That sounds awfully painful, and this is coming from someone with 4 tattoos.

So what's the diagnosis? Undead zombie or vampire?

Comments

TweetAnne 13

Hate having bloodwork done. They always insist on getting it from my left arm when I tell them to just do it from the right. The veins on my left arm are not easy to locate and don't draw out as much blood as my right. I always tell them the region on my right where there's a good supply, but they tend to do it after they have tried once or twice on the left.

Damn must have hurt OP! But, why did the blood stop?

When the needle goes in you get a flash of blood. If the needle then goes through the otherside or up against the vain wall the blood stops. The needle then needs to be moved back into the right spot.

I think it's because they couldn't find the vein, or they're bad at taking blood tests

that's your big trauma?! That's your FML?! There are little kids in the hospital with their heads cut open, fighting for their lives and your whining because you got a tiny needle and she had to reposition it? And these comments like Omg that must have sucked so bad!! When did we become a society of weak, whiny, pathetic little b**ches? It's a needle. I've had that happen, it's nowhere close to the trainwreck you make it out to be. Life would be so much easier for all of you if you learned that stuff like this isn't remotely a big a deal as you make it out to be, solely for more attention, special little snowflake.

phlebotomists only have to complete a ten week course to get their certificate, it's not like she's had extensive medical training. honestly I'm surprised you haven't had this issue before.

The exact same thing happened to me and my arm had a massive bruise afterwards. I gave up giving blood, cos if they can't get it right, who can?

middlenamefrank 8

It happens. I have great veins, give blood regularly, but once in a while the little buggers just don't give up their juice. Sometimes it's the nurse's fault, sometimes it's not. I wonder if sometimes the anticoagulants that are supposed to be in the needle to prevent clotting have leaked out or something, and a clot forms in the needle.

Oh_bother44 11

That's happened to me twice- once for routine blood work (they ended up having to switch arms and STILL missed the vein... No big deal) and the other time I was donating blood and the woman couldn't find my vein and was doing the same thing... Moving the needle in my arm instead of taking it out and starting over- then she said "maybe I should put on my glasses"- it was a good thing I'd donated before because if that was my first time I probably wouldn't have ever gone back. I ended up with a bruise extending from my elbow half way up my bicep that took over a moth to fully fade from that one. Hopefully next time you go you end up with someone better!