By TheStressComesFree - 31/07/2013 16:47 - Canada - Calgary

Today, I was told that I have to apply to keep the job that I've held for the past two years. There are so many other applicants that it's basically a free-for-all. FML
I agree, your life sucks 46 263
You deserved it 3 350

Same thing different taste

Top comments

untouchable763 10

That's bullshit. I know the economy is bad right now but if you had the job already you shouldn't have to reapply.

Comments

150493x 29

That really sucks. Hopefully they take into account the commitment you've put into the job. Good luck.

Maybe it's a test to see if you care enough about your job to reapply??

Sounds like your business was bought by another company, and they are doing some realigning. Just don't drink the night before your interview or they'll realign you with the exit.

That sucks, OP. But at least you have the advantage. Be really calm and clear when you apply. Think of the knowledge and skills you now have from being in the job, the networks you've formed, the systems you already know well, and be able to be very specific about the way you've done the job well, any wins you've had and how you've contributed to the company. I hope you nail it.

I don't think they can just kick you out of a job after the 6-month mark. Unless it was intended to be temporary? Either way, I hope you keep your job! :D

If op is in an "at will" state, anybody can be fired, at any time, for any reason, with or without notice. Oops. Didn't think to look where op is. I have no clue how things work for Canadians.

There must be more to this than is stated in the FML, like that the probability of this happening after a certain amount of time was laid out in the original contract, or something? Either that or I have lost faith in the system. Bad luck OP.

I hope you end up keeping your job . It wouldn't hurt to have a backup plan though, retaining it seems iffy.

If they don't appreciate your time, effort, and work, maybe it's time to find a new place.

Unless it's because you work under a contract that is expiring, it sounds like they want somebody else to do your job.