By TheStressComesFree - 31/07/2013 16:47 - Canada - Calgary

Today, I was told that I have to apply to keep the job that I've held for the past two years. There are so many other applicants that it's basically a free-for-all. FML
I agree, your life sucks 46 263
You deserved it 3 350

Same thing different taste

Top comments

untouchable763 10

That's bullshit. I know the economy is bad right now but if you had the job already you shouldn't have to reapply.

Comments

Yes, maybe they'll rehire you on the basis of you already knowing how to do your job. Or maybe this is a sign that you're doing something wrong. That's a really stressful situation, OP. Maybe you should look into other employment options to minimize the amount of time you'll spend jobless should you not be rehired.

Ottokat why do you always write such long comments?

erockinthesuburb 17

Cats have a lot of free time on their hands.

I would agree, but most of the time it's cheaper for the company to get new people at lower wages then to keep the knowledgeable ones who cost a bit extra.

Anyone smell bacon? Haha sorry, old FML reference.

Oh dear. For some reason the app posted in the wrong FML. Sorry guys!

I agree with 37 and they can usually get away with not giving them all them benefits long time employees have usually earned/accumulated.

jedorr07 5

hey jjimen, why do all of your comments get voted down? :P

I've seen this shit before. They're trying to cut OP's pay in an underhanded way. Flick them off and find a new job, they're not worth your time.

untouchable763 10

That's bullshit. I know the economy is bad right now but if you had the job already you shouldn't have to reapply.

I don't know OP's situation but if they're under new management then sometimes they're forced to. There can be many reasons as to why he has to, no need to be angry.

K410 18

Or they basically laid him off but was nice enough to give him another chance. Still unfair though.

meggieeee92 15

Is is even legal for them to do this? Seems unfair since OP has already held the job for two years.

OP could be a contract worker... I've worked at Boeing for 6 months but I don't actually work for Boeing. I have to apply for the position I've been holding when they finally hire someone as "my" boss (which could be another 6 months or more). Perfectly legal, though.

alexwow1 13

Oh wow must suck knowing that you have worked there for 2 years

I don't think that's why this was an FML...

That's complete bullshit. I'd talk to your boss about this

cynical78 15

Who do you think is pushing it? Odds are its not the OP

This is pretty common. Do you happen to work for the WWE? If so, don't forget to bring a folding chair to the interview. It might be a literal free-for-all.

...Or a ladder, or a lead pipe, or a sledge hammer, or a wood table, or head, or an urn, or a baseball by wrapped in barbed wire.....ahh the good old days.

That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard. You already have the job. Why the hell are others even applying for it?

RedPillSucks 31

Because the company is probably downsizing. What they want to do is go through all the updated resumes and weed out the people that they feel are closer to the bottom of the barrel, skill wise. This is, unfortunately, a common practice in todays economy.

My company did that when they had to reapply for a contract with the government. We all had to reapply and accept reduced wages. It sucks but isn't uncommon

icepick23 12

But you have experience with the company, since you work there? :p

PterodactylMan 23

I believe you've been screwed by the system my friend

We'll be cheering for you OP! Sorry the douchebags at your work are making you do this.