By notpreggo - 01/05/2017 12:00

Today, I was taking my 3-month-old nephew for a walk in his stroller, when a lady stopped me to coo over him. Then she patted my stomach and said, "Don't worry, you'll lose the baby weight soon". I've never had a baby. FML
I agree, your life sucks 4 991
You deserved it 698

Same thing different taste

Top comments

why do people think it's ok to say stuff like that to strangers? sorry about her ignorance op

awildwhisper 30

That was so not ok to get closer to the baby without asking you first and DEFINITELY not ok at all to touch your stomach. That was very uncalled for.

Comments

why do people think it's ok to say stuff like that to strangers? sorry about her ignorance op

people can say what they want, just let it roll off of you. my issue is why is she that close, and why would she think it's okay to touch someone, especially their stomach?!

Eashy 16

Throw a used diaper in her face?

awildwhisper 30

That was so not ok to get closer to the baby without asking you first and DEFINITELY not ok at all to touch your stomach. That was very uncalled for.

species4872 19

That's the way people used to act. People used to be friendly and people use to touch each other without being paranoid about it. As it was, Assault by touching someone had to have intent to do harm. That' how it was, and a lot of older people still do it.

Well, yes, people from previous generations used to think it was okay to rub a woman's stomach if discussing babies. And pregnant women from previous generations also HATED IT. Seriously, you can find Dear Abby and Ann Landers and Miss Manners all addressing that it is NOT okay to just go up and start rubbing on someone. Having a baby does not make your body public property. They also comment on the obvious but somehow still needs to be repeated fact- never comment on a strangers weight. And never, never, EVER comment on a woman's weight if a baby is involved.

species4872 19

I wasn't specifically referring to the lady rubbing her stomach but touching in general in a kind, caring way. My original comment was made merely for information with no intent or bias one way or another.

Druu 53

Legally speaking, assault NEVER had an intent requirement. Nor did battery. Perpetrator's intent only serves to increase the degree of the crime, ie turning simple assault into aggravated assault.

species4872 19

Obviously different country. Here we have common law, specifically NSW crimes act 1900 as amended.

Jazzalyn 10

I think in this situation it's perfectly acceptable to tell her to **** off and mind her own business. Providing the nephew isn't one of those kids who will remember and repeat things that they shouldn't be saying. Though telling her to mind her own would be okay still, I think.

I was asked by a cashier in a grosery store across the street when I had the baby. I'd never been pregnant! :(

Garnetshaddow 30

While working as a cashier, I got some weird comments. Not usually about my weight, mostly about my skin. I have anxiety and some ocd issues and I scratch at my skin. (Yes, it's awful. I wish I could keep my skin covered at all times.) Several people asked me about self harm or if I was putting cigarettes out on my skin. I never understood the need to be so rude!

"Thanks for your unsolicited and completely unfounded and WRONG opinion". Ugh. That type of idiot is everywhere. I have quite a few stories on that particular subject myself.

Me too. When I'm asked one of the idiotic questions about my (un) baby, I say "I'm just fat, thanks for that though" with an ugly fake smile. OMG the look on his/her (usually her) face is priceless. They are so embarrassed and I enjoy every moment of it. When they try apologizing I'm just as sarcastic and rude as I'm walking away, leaving them stuttering and stammering.

no need for rudeness. a simple I'm not pregnant, or I'm just fat would be fine.

Who cares? More cushion for the pushing. ;)

Garnetshaddow 30

I will never understand how people can think this is ok. Why would you ever touch someone you don't know? A few months ago, I had shoulder surgery. A neighbor I barely know saw me in the park the first time I was well enough to walk and greeted me with a hearty clap on the bad shoulder. She wasn't paying attention and didn't see the sling. I was understandably livid. I pretty much feel that way about any unwanted touching, only it isn't causing me as much physical pain. The fat shaming is also very wrong. You don't say shit like that to anybody. Why would you? I am just baffled.

People like that piss me off. It's not okay to ask that, especially to a stranger. And physical contact? Patting your stomach? That's beyond wrong.