By Savy - 13/02/2017 12:00 - United States - Mesa

Today, I was tailgated by a car with his high beams on for an hour. Any time I changed my speed or lane, he would do the same. I finally managed to get away from him because a cop pulled me over and gave me a speeding ticket. FML
I agree, your life sucks 7 115
You deserved it 912

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Usually if you decide to drive well below the speed limit, they will pass you. Otherwise, you should just pull over give them little choice. If they pull over with you, then you can call the police and let them know you have a car following you that seems hostile and will not stop harassing you. Then they will get pulled over and you win.

shortcake563 21

should have just break checked. that's what I do if someone keeps riding my bumper they normally back off then

Comments

It's a conspiracy, man. They were totally in cahoots, that cop and the other person.

shortcake563 21

should have just break checked. that's what I do if someone keeps riding my bumper they normally back off then

It would have been their fault(not the OP's) for not allowing enough space.

Yeah, don't do this... you can also be done for reckless driving as well as the guy who is tailgaiting. Flash your rear foglight on and off instead. It's a red light, so they will think it's your breaks.

How many cars have fog lights, let alone rear ones?

species4872 19

Brakes* All you've got to do is touch the brake pedal slightly as the brake lights will come on before the brakes engage.

That's a great idea until you get rear ended.

Why didn't you just pull over for a minute?

Usually if you decide to drive well below the speed limit, they will pass you. Otherwise, you should just pull over give them little choice. If they pull over with you, then you can call the police and let them know you have a car following you that seems hostile and will not stop harassing you. Then they will get pulled over and you win.

and you let it go on for an hour.... why?

whatunicorn 17

you should have pulled over. That is literally something that is the driver handbook. IMO YDI. Next time pull over and if you truly feel unsafe dial 911.

An hour? A whole hour you let lights go into your eyes? If idiots do that to me I just flip my rear mirror down and turn my side mirrors. If i'm staying in one lane for a long time on the freeway they're not needed. I've also done the 'Reflect their light into the driver side windshield' too, giving them a tiny taste of their own medicine! :)

species4872 19

Freeway or not, mirrors are always needed. You should check your mirrors at least once every 30 seconds.

The solution to a tailgater isn't speeding up... its slowing down to exactly or just below the speed limit to piss them off, then tap your breaks every few minutes to make them nervous (if they hit you, it's their fault for tailgating)

Plot Twist: the tailgater was actually the cop.

My go to is brake checking and using my windshield washer fluid. You'll see them use the wipers because it will hit them... wash again, and again. They'll move. I promise.