By Wellfu - 02/04/2015 14:48 - Europe

Today, I was let go from my internship for "not putting in enough effort". I was working 50 hours a week for almost zero pay. FML
I agree, your life sucks 34 065
You deserved it 2 715

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Hunthas 17

With that dedication they will be working for you someday! Hope you at least got some experience out of it!

Comments

keep up the good work and don't give up on finding an another internship.

I know how you feel when it comes to cheapskate employers, I got let go from my apprenticeship after a year because they didn't want to pay me more than £2.78 an hour (apprenticeship minimum wage), and after the first year it's illegal to pay an apprentice less than normal minimum wage (£5.13). Screw the employers just looking for cheap labour.

I'm guessing it was a pretty demanding position being as you were putting in 50 hours with almost no pay, meaning their are allot of people gunning for that position. so if everyone else is putting in more then it makes sense they let you go. I've been to places where hundreds apply and only a select few even get an opportunity.

I think they were expecting 100 hours a week.

if you gave it your all, that's what matters . there's always something else out there . good luck

There's a whole chapter dedicated to find out the efficiency of labour hours in Costing and finance done by Chartered Accountants so I suppose you did show up 50 hours but maybe your work wasn't efficient enough ?

KVYLV 16

Pretty sure OP chose to accept the internship herself. So calling this modern day slavery is pretty offensive to people who are actually forced into working somewhere with minimal or no pay

Oh, 50 hours only... You haven't made the transition into a robot. That's why.

Just because you're there 50 hours a week doesn't mean you're doing good work or putting a lot of effort into you're work. 50 hours is a lot of hours a week and therefor a lot of money to pay someone for doing dodgy work. They probably had there reasons for letting you go.