By Former Drummer - 03/06/2012 21:23 - United States - Tulsa

Today, I was diagnosed with migraines. Any loud sounds or bright lights make it worse. I'm the drummer for a heavy metal band, so I now have to choose between really bad migraines or a career. FML
I agree, your life sucks 31 148
You deserved it 4 657

Same thing different taste

Top comments

You should always out your health before most things! Remember that you only have one body, while you can have multiple careers. Fyl though, and I hope the medications are effective :) I have heard that migraines are horrible to say the last, so good luck in the future, always a lot of options left.

Comments

MistaKrista 8

Let's be honest. Is this band REALLY going to be your career, or do you play in a garage and hope to one day make it big? I'm not trying to shoot your dreams down, or be rude, but most people fit into the later category. In that case, your health is much more important.

What about smoking weed, I bet that would help? No I'm not a stoner but I bet it would help with the pain.

Imitrex works wonders. I have the same problem...Is a side effect due to the brain tumor I had as a child. I feel your pain >.<

Epsilonyx 15

Your username is Former Drummer, so have you made your decision? I'm sorry if you did! It must have been a tough choice. You could always be a policeman! Or a team mascot. Or maybe a prostitute, if you're into that stuff. What about Subway's new spokesperson? I'm getting sick of Jared. Oh, so many options...

floopyflooper 2

My aunt had migraines for the longest time. Botox has gotten rid them. Yeah, it changes your appearance, but not in a bad way (unless it's botched)

If you have then bad enough they give you stuff for them. #personalexpierence.

I've had migraines since I was 12 years old, and now I'm 25- I found drumming to be the only kind of medicine that works for me as I 'zone out' when I do so. Just don't headbang when you play and you'll be fine ;)

Out of all the support I see people give one another on this site, I am terribly disappointed in the commenters thus far. The vast majority here are telling this guy to give up on his dream. Here is my opinion (I am much older and more experienced in life than most here): Don't give up on your dream. The bright lights and noises will only bother you during the migraine. Medications, diet changes and exercise can limit the frequency. Get educated, but don't give up.

"NEVER GIV UP ON UR DREAMS" - Ezra Koenig 41, I really hope OP takes your advice

Tell me about it, they're a right bunch of condescending fuckwits. People who look down on musicians are just judgemental idiots who need to get off their high horse. And as for the ones picking at the genre he's playing... there have been plenty of successful heavy metal bands and whether it's "good" or not is purely a matter of taste.

Pain pills don't always help. Especially if the migraine is at its peak. I ended up in the emergency room, they tried to give me a pill orally and I vomited it up:( I suffer bad from migraines & have since I was a kid, due to the brain tumor I had at the age of four.. Imitrex works wonders! But can be expensive if you don't have some sort of insurance.. You have to take it right when you feel one coming though, because it won't work if you already have one. Also, yes smoking weed can help.. I have my medical card for that reason.

@-27 yeah he cant listen to the music he is creating but he can still feel the vibration and anyways if he thinks being a drummer is worth it then its better him being a drummer with ear plugs on then no drummer at all.