By wellthen - 12/07/2016 21:35 - United States - Clarksville

Today, I was at a rodeo warming up while my mom unnecessarily bragged about my training skills to a client. My horse then threw me into a gate at a full gallop, in front of everyone. That was the first time he'd ever misbehaved. FML
I agree, your life sucks 11 320
You deserved it 992

Same thing different taste

Top comments

It could be worse. Could have stomped you after

When you felt embarrassed, your consternation wavered and the horse sensed it. Stay focused and confident. :)

Comments

that's what you get for doing dumb things like a rodeo.

Yeah, I agree! Rodeos are just circuses with bulls and horses instead of elephants and tigers...you deserve it for using another animals pain/discomfort for your pleasure.

Says the person who probably doesn't know a damned thing about what rodeo really is. Go stick your head up someone else's ass.

@emo and Garrett what stupid ass YouTube abuse videos have you been watching? all my horses loved running barrels, which yes is a rodeo event for you city idiots. there is abuse in every sport no matter what animal is in it. even humans! I never used spurs incorrectly or jerked on my horses mouths or unnessesarily whipped them. those dumb videos you idiots watch are few and far between that someone abuses their animal. and they get turned in and kicked from the competition and can have all their animals taken away. so before you open your mouth about shit you don't know!

PANDORUM89 21

I assume you were warming up for barrels, my friends and I went and watched the rodeo and stayed for the slack at a rodeo in Blue Ridge. TX and at the Allen Stampede in TX. both times a girl couldn't stop her horse on the way in or out and they ran straight in to the alley at a sprint and the horse didn't stop until it hit the back wall. scariest shit in the world. I think I'd rather stick to cutting/reining. your horse doesn't try to kill you everytime it sees a barrel and you also don't get smacked in the damn shin every turn hahaha. but also don't feel bad because it is like horse law that they will behave every single time unless you try to show off. :/

Not all barrel horses are nuts, but it sure does seem like there are a lot. Kind of like people think all eventers are nuts. My girl was nuts because she was a hot Thoroughbred who was 17 hands and being ridden by a very short 14 year old me, but I was way overhorsed (not by choice). Otherwise, our barn had some of the most pleasant representatives that people were always surprised to hear were excellent eventing horses.

you were barreling on a thoroughbred how did that work out

As someone who works with horses, I totally relate. You could have the most trusted, well-mannered horse and he'll still act like an ass sometimes. FYL OP

nesteremily 31

I swear horses will always do that at the worst time. Like when you're trying to sell one and you're showing them how well they ride. But horses tend to freak out at shows especially if they're new to it so maybe he was a bit nervous. Hope you were wearing a helmet!

are you sure it was a horse you were on? seemed like a smart ass to me.

A saying we had where I grew up is that "A horse's behavior depends greatly on how many people are watching". Not that we used it as an excuse for any bad behavior. With horses (and sometimes other animals) it just seems like they choose the times you want to show your skills to try to throw a surprise your way! I think it has to do with the tension they can often feel from you when you know someone is watching. Horses are so sensitive and pick up the subtle cues of your body that you may not even know you're giving them and they know something is different. Being prey animals, this can make them nervous or, with the more cheeky horses, tells them they have a chance to test you.

Horse riding is not what a rodeo SHOULD be. Barrel racing is gay. Call me when you go 6 seconds on a pissed off bull

Call me when you can fight off that kangaroo in your picture.

Oh please. Anyone can hang on for six seconds. It actually takes skill and talent to train a horse to barrel race.