By so embarrassed - 05/01/2013 21:56 - United States - South Salem

Today, I was at a restaurant with my boyfriend. He wound up drinking a whole bottle of wine, and when the bill came he drunkenly yelled at the waiter, claiming it should be free, because he's in the military "fighting for your freedom". He's a mechanic in the National Guard. FML
I agree, your life sucks 28 053
You deserved it 4 315

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Psycho_Babydoll 26

Considering you have to put up with that kind of embarrassment, I hope they DID give you a free meal.

I think you misread. No one is talking about a free medal. Meal*

Comments

onorexveritas 23

well without him they wouldn't be able to get to and fro

And as others have said (and my family have done) he may still be put into combat to keep others moving

I feel so much safer knowing that a drunk mechanic is doing his part to keep our troops... oh, shit...

Yes because he's a drunk mechanic for getting drunk in this fml with his girlfriend? I'm sure healso goes to work drunk. Don't blindly assume shit.

A mechanic got drunk off duty... Yeah totally a bad example... LMAO **** stain get your head out your ass. People drink and do stupid shit sometimes when drunk doesn't mean the guys a bad, can't say soldier, guardsmen. He at least does a little for his country, what the **** you do?

PTSD is nothing to joke about. He was in the motor pool and he has seen shit. Yeah mutha fucka give me my free bottle of wine. I want to make the pain of bring in the Arkasas national guard go away.

ideasrule 13

Even if he is a soldier, I don't see any reason why soldiers should get special privileges. The United States is a democracy, not a military junta. Also, any Americans who seriously think American soldiers are fighting for their freedom should get their head examined. At best, they're liberating the citizens of (former) dictatorships like Libya or Iraq; at worst, they're killing and torturing innocent people. But in either case, the fact is that there is no credible military threat to the US, and the US would be perfectly safe if it had absolutely no military at all.

Oooooowwwwww u probably shouldn't have said that they are about to thumb you down bad. Bad move very bad.

devilz_advocate 7

Thinking back to the col war... Yeah, you're right. If we didn't have a military, you wouldn't be speaking russian right now and nothing would be there to deter people from taking us over.

Well thank you for your opinion. Now you will be thumbed down.

I got first negative thumb yay me lol Prior military here I didn't ever ask for or want special privilege or treatment but the fight was for freedom in general... Not any specific persons but you can't say people have certain god given inalienable rights if they only apply to certain people in certain spots. So I agree the expectation of special treatment is silly but your attitude still gets the thumb from me :) And since I'm american and was military " I may not agree with what you say but will fight to the death for your right to say it "

ideasrule 13

@devilz: do you realize that we're not in the Cold War, and that our current geopolitical situation is very different?

America is NOT a democracy. Until you know the basics, don't try to talk politics, douchebag.

I am former military also and I realize the folly of American foreign policy. I also realize that when you join the service you don't get to make those decisions. You simply have to put your neck on the line because it is your duty to your country. It was a shame people didn't have a better grasp of that during Vietnam, we have come a long way since then in understanding our troops and their roll. Some clown saying he deserves a free bottle of wine because he is in the guard or guy that deprecates the commitment of our troops does us all a huge disservice.

23, You are dumb. And 38, you are correct. It's a common misconception, even among Americans, that America is a democracy. It's not. It's a democratic republic. Bravo to you for knowing better.

23-As a soldier in the U.S. Army I would like to speak on behalf of all my fellow soldiers in saying, go **** yourself.

ideasrule 13

A democratic republic is not a democracy? I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or in desperate need of a dictionary. Anyways, I think poccocurantes responded very thoughtfully, so I'll reply here: I do not think it's brave to blindly follow your country's leaders into wars that you personally disagree with. Quite to the contrary, I think it's cowardice. Do we applaud the SS guards who blindly followed Hitler, or do we applaud those who followed their conscience and disobeyed their leaders? I'm not at all saying that American soldiers are Nazis, but Americans seem to apply a double standard: following your conscience for the good of humanity is the most admirable virtue everywhere except in the American military (but not any other military), in which case it should be replaced by mindlessly obeying orders. Peace is not possible unless this mindset is replaced by a true commitment to serve humanity, which includes not just fighting for noble causes, but refusing to fight for ignoble ones.

Alright comment 58 is a pure masterpiece of idiocy.... I have no words .... So only in the American military are you expected to follow your given orders as you are instructed.... Show me any military in the world where you are allows to pick an choose what orders to follow? In fact the US military has sections of the UCMJ that allow for proper response to an unlawful order many military organizations lack even that and you can face summary and permanent repercussions ... Tsk tsk my poorly informed friend.

58, No it's not. In a true democracy, everything is decided by a majority vote, whereas in a republic we live under the rule of law. Take the American court system, for example. In a democracy, an accused criminal would be brought before a jury, and a majority vote would decide both his guilt and sentence. But since we live in a republic where law rules, we need a 100% vote to convict a criminal, and then a judge decides his sentence. However, we have a democratic republic, because although we live under the rule of law, designed to protect the minority from the tyranny of the majority, we elect our legislators and other leaders by a majority vote.

23- you're an idiot and you need to get your head checked. The military does fight for our freedom and America wouldn't be where we are without them.

Also, 58, the rest of your comment might make a little bit of sense, if America had a draft right now. It doesn't. Everyone in the US military at present CHOSE to join the military. Are you in everyone's brain? How could you possibly know they didn't carefully think about their decision before joining the military? Kindly get off your idiot soap box.

Gracehi, maybe you should look up the requirement for men to register with the Selective Service System sometime. It's not actively enforced, but it is a draft of sorts, even if just the precursor.

I'm not so sure you are not heading for another similar one to be honest - when iran has nukes capable of reaching your shores.

Also, the only reason America is a safe country is because of our military. Mainly the navy because the navy protects the seas and whoever rules the seas rules the trade. If we didn't have a military like your idiotic suggestion, America would perish in a blink of an eye. Would you be happy when we're all captives?

71, Yes, I'm perfectly aware of that requirement, thank you. But, like you said, it's not enforced right now, so I don't see how it's relevant. And so, like I said, everyone inn the military at present CHOSE to be in the military.

You sir, are an asshole. Our nation would NOT be a democracy without our military. So please WISE UP before you run your mouth next time.

the men n women who fought is why we speak English, why we can speak our minds... if u don't like that places show recognition for those men n women who have n are fighting to keep us safe n free ...go suck a ball

We're not under direct vote, like the senate votes for us and so does the house, even though we elect them in they still make some decisions for us. So it is a democratic republic. Not total democracy, not total republic.

So if someone attacks us and we have no way to defend ourselves, we're better off without the military, right? Not having a military is a risk and I would rather know there are brave people risking their lives for our protection, cause God knows I am not brave enough. Our soldiers shouldn't demand special treatment, yes; however, they deserve a lot more than people bad mouthing them and say they're blind followers. The sad part is that we can never achieve world peace; human nature is far too violent and there always be a reason to be attacked. We need protection. Expect the worst, and pray for the best.

91, Yes, I've heard of that. But still, I wouldn't call someone who chose military service over jail a "blind follower." More like someone who weighed their options and made a wise decision.

aaslt175 5

As gracehi said, the US miltary is completely a volunteer military. We are also the first completely volunteer military in our nations history. have been for quit some time. I served as combat arms with the 101st Airborne and am damn proud of my service. If you think that the military should be disbanded or abolished, you have lost your mind. As for the comment about blindly following orders, like one other posted, there are channels to report misbehavior of any kind, even that of a superior officer. The military is a team and a family. It has to be. There are those individuals that go off the reserve and do stupid things, and those are the people that you hear about. You never hear about how many time a medic saved a child's life, or the soldier that took a bullet for a civilian. Those people are severely under recognized. I have seen just those things happen and to anybody that has done something like that, know that you are not forgotten. My one and only wish is that people would stop looking at the media and thinking that only the thing that are reported are an entire account of what has happened.

You have to look at the name. Ideasrule. I appreciate your explanation and you are right about people blindly following a flag, it is called fascism. America has always tried to walk that fine line between anarchy and totalitarianism. Fascism and communism are virtually the same thing. there are differences, but they are academic. If you want to know the truth behind modern political theory we are more of an anarcho-capitalism or oligarchy than a republic. The one thing that defeats those who would overthrow us as a people is our ability to openly discuss this and defend it with our blood. That is why we fight. Not for the politicians or the corporations but for the idea .

Also, 91, anyone who enlisted then as an alternative to jail time would have had to have reenlisted to still be in the military now. So even in that case, it's still by choice now. And, 97, thank you. That was very well put.

Man that's some deep shit, but I love a good debate. Thanks ideasrule for supplying the gasoline.

I'm not American but even I know that's stupid

This has to be one of the more intelligent threads I've ever seen here. Bravo to you all. Except ideasrule. You're a mind-numbing idiot.

I think if we had no military at all North Korea would be pleased. - Proud army wife :)

Fascism and communism are on compete opposite sides of the political spectrum.

Just to clarify, the American military is 100% volunteer. Ideasrules point about the SS would be valid if not for the fallibility of history. SS members were people just like us despite their role in the holocaust. I am pretty sure many of them had reservations, but you will never hear of them because they would have been reprimanded for acts against their state so anything an individual did from his own conscience, would have gone unnoticed. As soldiers you still have a conscience and a duty to act on that conscience. The world is much more complex than many people are willing to admit.

Lovin the docbastard input :) For ideasrule a recap... the military is voluntary enlistment, you have to follow orders in our military or any other, you can refuse an unlawful order and report through appropriate channels, we are a democratic republic (yes driven by capitalism,) even non-American members agree your comment was idiotic, and finally the Military might of a country acts as a line of defense and a deterrent. All the military members who have commented here have expressed no desire for special treatment. In fact most people who offer special treatment or discounts are people who appreciate the many sacrifices that service personnel and their families make.... I don't mind your opinions I welcome them, just don't ever insult the individuals who risk their lives, their relationships, their health and happiness to preserve your way of life and to support freedom worldwide. The fights, conflicts, an wars may be on foreign soil but these defend our own country as surely as if they were in your front yard. Hiding within our own borders and waiting for trouble to reach us is like waiting in your house and watching as people attack and injure your neighbors 1 by 1 until they come to your house... Prevention saves your life and property and can save the lives of your neighbors and friends.

113, Yes, and no. Theoretically and ideally, fascism and communism are opposites, but in practice they are very much the same.

Everyone in this thread is being stupid. And by adding to it, I guess that makes me stupid too. Oh well. Soldiers do their job. That's it. You can't glorify it as "saving the country" or give them special status, but you can't disrespect them for it, either. My mom worked for a pharmaceutical company, but she doesn't take credit for "saving lives". Nor does she deserve to be bashed by people who believe in "alternative medicine". I think American culture tends to kind of worship soldiers, and that's wrong. So that being said, I have an uncle who's in the military and I also went through Hurricane Sandy. Personally I have more respect for the people in the National Guard who helped us than my uncle who attacked others. But that's just me. Oh, and as for the original FML, the boyfriend is an ass. Obviously.

So 120 your mother is contributing to the corporate oppression of America? Soldiers don't fight for money. They are paid about as much as police officers, teachers and firemen. definitely not a good comparison. On the other hand, just kidding. some times you take things to the extreme to make your point. Truth lies somewhere in-between.

One last note before I go to bed. Whatever form of governance, freedom is only achieved through eternal vigilance. Stay informed and remain open to new ideas.

#123, are you serious, haha? No, sadly she's now writing a political blog *against* "corporate America" as you put it because she's since lost her job. She's getting research papers published and whatnot. But thanks for insulting her for helping sick people. She was never involved in the financial or marketing stuff anyway, so as far as I can tell she wasn't contributing to "oppression" any more than the drivers who delivered the supplies and products of the company or the pharmacists who sometimes sold it. As for the "police officers, firemen, and teachers" thing, aren't you kind of making my point for me? Few people in America give them the same reverence they give to soldiers for doing jobs that are just as if not MORE important. They don't do it for money? So? That doesn't make it less of a job. I just don't see what the point of soldier worship, or for that matter soldier abuse, is. I don't get what point you're trying to make other than a really convoluted "your mom" joke.

Oh, and just to clarify, I don't think bashing soldiers is right. I just don't support soldier worship. It seems that everyone has to "support the troops" nowadays, and forget that other people are helping the country every day in other ways. I mean, just think about how rude people are to garbagemen or how some parents act with teachers... Soldiers are important to an extent, yes, but they don't deserve to have an elevated status in our culture.

58, Benjamin Franklin said "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for lunch." Also, in reply to a question about what kind of government was built for America, he said "A republic, ma'am, if you can keep it."

129, I think they deserve to have a somewhat elevated status. Garbage men don't risk their lives. Teachers don't risk their lives either (with little exception), but they get an elevated status in American culture too.

23, that is one of the most adorable (read idiotic) things I've ever read.

aaslt175 5

So you are saying that the men and women of the armed forces shouldnt be given an elevated status. That like saying that the police, firemen and other rescue teams that worked to rescue people from the wreckage of the 9/11 attacks shouldn't be given an elevated status. So the countless members of the military that have died defending this country don't deserve the same respect. One of the biggest thing I found from the men and women around me, while I was in the army, was to ensure that their legacy was never forgotten.

126 in the areas I have lived across the country police, fire, and EMS were always given respect and often thanked for there job and effort. Teachers as well were treated with deference for their dedication to educating youth. I don't think anyone should be bashed for their job whether it is working at a company like your moms or teaching or being a soldier. I do think police, fire, and EMS are every bit as important as military however I feel that the out flowing of support is primarily directed at the deployed members of the service who give up basic comforts such as shelter good food, simple amenities like clean water or a bed, or more importantly contact with every single loved one as they take a forward deployed readiness and defend our country against the despots of the world ... And no they aren't dealing with a war on people who openly attack us all the time and yes sometimes the military is used as a global police... But they defend the country and what it stands for because tyranny allowed to flourish can become monstrosity in very little time. History has seen tyrants conquer vast areas because people stood by and said the oppression or mistreatment isn't of our people... Would you be one of those people who stand by and watch another be killed in front of you when you have the ability to stop it. Not all of that was at 126 part was a preemptive explanation of why I say defending our country because I know people will contest that point.

#136, they do technically risk their lives. There are plenty of diseases you can catch by doing it, people throw out dangerous items all the time with no consideration for the people who have to handle them, etc. Also, as pointed out in this FML, not everyone in the military risks their lives for their job. Moreover, there are plenty of jobs outside of the military that people risk their lives for, but no one thanks THEM for their service. Firemen, police officers (hell, people HATE police officers), etc. I have an aunt who works for the IRS who has her life threatened all the time and another aunt who was a parole officer, and people *hate* them for their jobs. Some people who work in labs are at risk of injury. So forgive me for not seeing why soldiers deserve special treatment. I think you people are confusing "respect" with "worship".

#149, I'm saying that no one should have an elevated status because of their jobs. Maybe because of their individual accomplishments, but not their jobs. That's not to say that they don't deserve respect; like I said, I don't support soldier abuse. I just think people need to stop worshipping soldiers and ignoring the role every one else plays in the country. People keep bringing up history to support the "without a military, we wouldn't have freedom" argument, so what about the scientists that eliminated smallpox? Do they get a thanks for their service? Why aren't people vilified for not "supporting our researchers and structural biologists"?

you're over thinking it. these people barely have the means to get across their own country. what makes you think they would be able to get across the ocean in a force large enough to be considered an army. they keep throwing bombs at us the form of planes, because that's all they can do. if the us wasn't across seas it would effect us little to none at all. because security will only get tighter. IMO. they're wasting loves and resources fighting for those people over there. the us is in this giant debt hole because it just has to play savior for everyone who calls for help. look at any other country and we,re a laughing stock when it comes to national wealth. hell. arguably. we don't even hold the largest military force anymore. fix your own house before trying to fix someone else's

#34 God Bless you & all that you've done! Love the quote

^^^ as of late military are paid LESS than Washington state minimum wage! They get just enough to pay bills & get by. I currently make $4.75 MORE by sweeping & shoveling sawdust. BITE ME HATERS! (Military daughter & wife)

#151 get educated my dear. You seem smart use it! There are positions as a mechanic (Combat Mechanic) where they are placed in the "Red Zone" being blown away with the rest AND not to mention just like civilians random areas can be hit by a "random" shot/bomb!!

#151 to get my point across, My female cousin is an active soldier & was in a "friendly" zone working on a rig when her "superior" turned his back & let two "local" men beat & rape her! Now tell me how she has a safe job! Btw after counseling she's been back over seas & in the "Red Zone" 3x

Obey_StudBoii 23

#23 Your an idiot. You must be.from another country which is why you talk crap. "Any Americans who seriously think American soldiers are fighting for their freedom need their head examined". Are you ******* kidding me???!!! Your a damn joke. My grandpas fought In WWI and WWII an got the Purple Heart. Something you wouldn't know nothing about. They fought with honor, love, and respect. To save jackasses like yourself. If you were drafted into any war and they threw you a gun you wouldn't know what to do with it. Alot of people that have or are In the military have gained much respect, because they put their life on the line.not knowing if they'll return home. So what I'm telling you here is GET YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT before you run your mouth!!!!

The military is not the primary force that caused the country to have so much debt. Plus, I respect everyone and their job; it's just annoying when soldiers get the worst end.

ideasrule 13

Please re-read my posts before putting words into my mouth. I never claimed that all soldiers want special treatment; I was criticizing the OP's boyfriend for expecting it. I never claimed the US army is not 100% volunteer. In fact, my argument was that no soldier should join the army if he doesn't believe in the justice of US foreign policy. (This applies to other countries as well, of course.) I've heard too many people say "we don't support America's wars, but we support its soldiers for protecting us". That sentiment makes zero sense--if the US army is 100% volunteer, those soldiers chose to join, and are therefore complicit in the bloodshed. Let me elaborate on why no military is needed to protect the US. Does the tiny country of Andorra need to spend trillions of dollars protecting itself from its much more powerful neighbors? No, because European Union countries have no appetite for war amongst themselves, and war has long been de-legitimized as a way of resolving minor conflicts. Western Europe has had no war for 70 years. Does Singapore need a world-spanning military to protect itself from Malaysia, or Indonesia? The Kiribati islands, along with most countries in the world, can easily be taken over by the US, but they're not--why not? If the US scrapped its military and stopped intervening in other countries' affairs, it would be at absolutely no risk of being invaded. An invasion by China would be disastrous to its own economy, because it would lose the large US market and its trillion-dollar Treasury bonds would not be honored. North Korea couldn't care less about the Americans if they left South Korea and Japan, just like how they couldn't care less about Germany or France. Iran is focused on its local geopolitical objectives, mostly relating to Iraq, Saudi Arabia, Israel, and Palestine. They are hardly likely to sail halfway around the globe to conquer a people with an alien culture while ignoring more immediate concerns closer to home. To all the pessimists talking about "human nature": you obviously know nothing about history. We live in the most peaceful and prosperous world that mankind has ever created. On 4 of its 6 continents, there is no war and no possibility of war. The global homicide rate has dropped from 10.4 in 1990, to 7.4 in 2004, to 6.9 in 2010. World peace is not yet reality, but if it was achieved on 4 continents in less than a century, 3 of which were constantly at war for millenia prior to that, it's achievable on the other 2.

#151, you misunderstand. I'm not denying that many people in the military do risk their lives for their job. What I'm pointing out is that 1. not everyone in the military does, which is a fact, and 2. there are people in other jobs out of the military who risk their lives just as much who don't get nearly the same amount of reverence for the work they do. And please don't call me uneducated just because I disagree with you.

even a good soldier can make a fool out of themself once in awhile... but that was pretty dumb op

Wait a soldier is a normal guy with normal stupid tendencies? Just more devotion to his country than your average joe? Who'd a thunk it right?

foxholeathiest 4

I've actually been to combat in two countries and I would never act like this. I try to go under the radar about my service

Usually most of us vets do, but um aren't you wearing an Iraq shirt?

he's not fighting for our freedom unless he's directly fighting against the enemy

zombieslayer83 19

I take some offense to this, because I am a mechanic. How do you think the soldiers that are fighting on the front lines get there? If there is no one to maintain and fix the transport vehicles then there is no way to get the soldiers to the front lines! What he does is just as important! They all fight for us! I for one support all of them, not just the ones in the shit!

#40, the National Guard were the first people in my area that came to help after Hurricane Sandy.

perdix 29

Your boyfriend is essentially a pirate.

So he couldn't even make it as an aviation electrician? Pssssssh! No wonder he's such a dummy!