By abc - 27/05/2009 10:15 - Pakistan

Today, I took my friends out to an expensive restaurant for my birthday treat. They had arranged for a surprise birthday cake for me which I cut, very happily, while they chanted birthday wishes. When the bill came, I discovered I was supposed to pay for my great 'surprise' cake. FML
I agree, your life sucks 55 412
You deserved it 5 360

Same thing different taste

Top comments

That's pretty crappy on the part of your friends... sure they're real friends?

well see... you didnt get it :] THAT was the real surprise! HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Comments

So your friends couldn't afford to spoil you. At least they came out and spent time with you. Some people spend their birthdays alone and don't even get wished happy birthday.. let alone have people celebrate it for them. It's not like they dine and dashed leaving you to pay for their meals and drinks too. You can't have your cake and eat it too... well.. not for free anyways

Lol! Would you be upset if they hadn't arranged anything at all? & I don't think that makes them horrible friends (as people have stated)...

Why did YOU take your friends out for YOUR birthday? Surely, it should be the other way round? Nevertheless, FYL, for having shitty friends who make you pay for your own Bday cake.

fretforyerlatte 0

from reading this i gathered that OP was paying for dinner in the first place. they said "I took my friends out". if that's the case they aren't a jerk for choosing an expensive restaurant, but really who takes their friends out and pays for everything on their own birthday? then, if they're paying, it would have been nice for the friends to treat them to a surprise cake. it's really messed up that they just had it thrown on the tab.

bonafidehustler 0

Well, this one confuses me. You say YOU TOOK your friends out, so it makes it sounds like the whole dinner and everything was your plan, in which case, why would you assume your friends would pay the bill? If it was their idea, that's one thing, but if you just called them up and said "let's go out to dinner for my birthday!" Then I don't think you should be surprised that they didn't cover the bill.

Thespade_fml 0

They shouldNt order a surprise cake if they aren't going to pay for it

TryToBeKind 0

What a bunch of d i c k s! I hope that was an oversight on their part!

It sounds like you were fitting the bill? If so... that sucks! either way... I HATE places that charge for birthday icecream/cake... (it can't be that costly to let somebody get a free piece of cake 1 day out of the year) Food has like a 400% mark up! It's not like you went there "just" for the cake!

happy birthday but no FML. You made it another year so your life is going ok