By SkottLong - 10/03/2015 06:19 - United States - Logan

Today, I showed my father a nice sweatshirt online, hoping he would take the hint and get it for me. He did, three sizes larger than mine, for himself. FML
I agree, your life sucks 30 312
You deserved it 8 435

Same thing different taste

Top comments

xapocxbiggunx 4

Why not just ask him to buy it?

1dvs_bstd 41

Why do people always expect other people to read their minds? Like they have a gift of clairvoyance.. pffft

Comments

That's what happens when you've got good taste

Maybe he misinterpreted your hint as "you might like this" and he did. Hints are stupid. Just say it.

just take it from him from time to time:D

snarkytruth 37

Earn it. You sound old enough to work. Maybe this is YOU not taking the hint from your dad. Maybe he is tired of you hinting for stuff and expecting him to work for it and shell out money every time you see something you like. Maybe he is hinting if you like it you buy it. Perhaps he simply likes your taste in clothes and has been needing a sweater himself. Most dads hate to shop especially for clothes. He could have mistakenly thought you were trying to do something nice for him.

JustinJK 21

I both disagree and agree with your comment. It's not always easy having a job. I have one, but only work occasionally - like a couple times a month or on breaks. I intern (degree requirement/worth credits) and volunteer in addition to a full schedule. Next semester I'll have a practicum for my other major (double major). I do however agree that hinting is retarded. I know that my dad is clueless. If I show him clothes he usually asks if it's for me or him because of various reasons (different tastes, I always try to get him to buy clothes, I shop a lot, etc). He likes when I or my stepmom take him to the mall bc he's clueless.

saffy66 34

Men aren't good with hints - even if applied with a sledgehammer. You have to spell it out to them :)

As a male, I agree. Don't be so cryptic.

As a male, I disagree. If you can't pick up on hints, it's because you're not paying attention or you're still in that egocentric stage of your life. Or you think that since men generally don't pay attention, that it somehow absolves you of... paying attention. A fallacy and a negative stereotype for men. You don't need to be a mind reader, you just need to be aware of other people's interests... in other words, not be selfish.

This is why I would ask my mother for gifts instead. It didn't help I have my father's taste in collecting things. He's almost kept Christmas gifts because he thought they would be cooler on his walls or shelves. Either go around to your mom OP or get it for yourself.

I hope this isn't an FML because it was a women's sweater.

TallMist 32

So what if it was? Who cares if the dad is a crossdresser? A lot of men look beautiful in women's clothing. And also, you're assuming they don't sell a men's version of the clothes.

born_hustla 26

Dude, it's your dad, simply ask! Politely that is.

I've seen so many cute pink oversized sweatshirts on the Internet, that all I can think is a grown man wearing a Kawaii sweatshirt haha