By mister_pinky - 15/07/2014 22:04 - United States - Portland

Today, I returned to my teaching job at a local community college after surfing for the weekend. I'd got sunburned, one student immediately noticed and said to me, "Morning, Mr. Pinky!" Now they all do it. My students are assholes. I hate teaching. FML
I agree, your life sucks 44 467
You deserved it 8 378

Same thing different taste

Top comments

They probably mess with you because you can't take a joke. I personally love to mess with people who can't take a joke, and I'm sure others do as well

then don't teach as a career. they seem to be messing around all in good fun. you need a sense of humor to be a professor

Comments

ZY1431 24

YDI only cause you could've prevented getting sunburned.

Well it IS community college. Also known as grades 13 & 14.

skittyskatbrat 19

Yep.. CC's get two sorts of students. The wise ones that want to get their basic core classes done cheaply, filling in missing information due to bad choices or classes in HS, or that want to explore some different subjects at a low cost before heading off to a 4 year college. And then there are the students that goofed around so damn much in HS and cheated so much that they are absolutely remedial in a lot of basics and can't cut the first semester at a 4 year school, nor do they really have any intention of changing. And they're all mixed together in one classroom :P For some, it's like the 8th time they've been in 8th grade. Good news is, all the first group of students just wants to slap those idiots silly when the professors do!

Well, I mean, it sounds like you're teaching pretty young people. What did you expect when you signed up for the job?

kingdomgirl94 29

I wasn't aware that 18 and 19 year olds were considered pretty young. He probably expected mature students who would behave themselves because they chose to be there and are paying to be there.

I taught some students as part of my obligations as a grad student and they never gave me any sign of disrespect. But if they did, I would just become an insufferable douche, raising my expectations and assigning them lots of homework until they understood not to mess with me. They are like little puppies. Sometimes they need conditioning.

Become the fun teacher and take it in jest and play back, you'll end up with students that respect you, providing you keep it in check.

kingdomgirl94 29

Or with students who don't respect you and take every bad grade as a personal affront to their character because they thought you were friends. If you've got to choose between being a students teacher and being their friend, be their teacher.

Axel5238 29

Have had some fun/relaxed professors in college, but there are quite a few students that take advantage of that. Either they try to derail the class or they forget that just because he or she is nice that they can get away with not doing the work. I've had some that were very strict it can be difficult once you are known "as the fun" professor you had a lot of students that don't care.

They're students. They will take every chance they can get to bag the teacher. Get another job or suck it up princess..

katebond 16

See that's the thing, you hate teaching, students notice such things ;)

Play up to it. Say "narf!" And do your best improv versions of the "I think so, Brain, but," and relate them to the lessons. Either they'll get sick of it when you get in on the joke, or it'll be fun for you too.

My response would have been 'the look' and "goodbye Mr. Bad Choices" to the first guy. You're the teacher. Act like one. I teach high school and love it. Either you learn to take and give good natured ribbing or you establish the boundary that mocking you isn't okay.

Just remember you are the one who is in charge with their grades so... Get the picture?

skittyskatbrat 19

Grades, heck. He's in charge of EVERYTHING. I personally think that every question on the next test ought to include a reference to pink. "What color does bromothymol blue turn in the presence of an acid" A. bright blue B. sunburn pink C. emerald green D. lemon yellow What was Truman's reaction to the dropping of the atomic bomb? A. tickled him pink B. fear of what this meant for the future C. celebration of the end of the war D. not known or not recorded