By gutted - 07/05/2012 02:13 - United Kingdom

Today, I proposed to my girlfriend. She promptly had a panic attack and screamed, "No!" FML
I agree, your life sucks 31 930
You deserved it 2 874

Same thing different taste

Top comments

omfg_creepers 8

Hopefully this was not a large sporting event or one of those big public proposals where it ends up allover the Internet the next day and you drink yourself into a coma.

have a panic attack and scream you were joking !

Comments

How big was the diamond in the ring? They never say yes to a small one.

perdix 29

Don't confuse a "had a panic attack" with "admitted that you're the guy she's ******* until something better comes along" to explain her reply.

I said both FYL and YDI. FYL because that's...a rather startling reaction that you weren't expecting, and you obviously love this girl a lot if you want to marry her. BUT YDI for not discussing this beforehand. Unless you haven't been together very long, and this was a "spur of the moment" thing, you should have discussed marriage and all that with your girlfriend, to see if it was something you both wanted, and if you were both at that place in your life where you want to get married now or in the near future...

Honestly. Have you talked with her about marriage before? Ever tried hinting maybe? Perhaps implied you were interested in committing to the relationship? In my opinion, there are lots of things you could've done before doing a big action like that. Such as maybe saying, "What would your dream wedding be? Mine would be.. (etc etc)" Although, I'm unsure if that'd be suspicious. You'd have to start up a conversation before that. I thought it was a good idea in my head, doesn't sound so good now.. Ha.

don't take it personally OP, maybe she was so surprised and that she just isn't ready yet. I suggest you talk to her and figure things out. Not every one wants to get married in life either.

People don't want to get married for a lot of reasons but still love who they are with. I didn't want to get married until I accomplished certain goals first. And my now in laws planning a wedding out of the blue in hopes it would happen sooner sure shot me into a pain attack.

You probably should have "wined and dined" her first to put her into a good mood first, then gently break the news to her that you love her so much that you want to marry her. Did you have a ring?

bingababe 16

"gently break the news to her"? You make it sound like he was telling her she had 6 months to live!

That wasn't a panic attack, it is called emphasis...not just no, HELL NO!

Dustfinger 6

Ok I really hate how most of you are telling OP to move on. Maybe she just needs a little more time with him.

skyeyez9 24

If she does not want to marry him ever, yes he should move on if OP wants to get married one day.

Devin91 20

Don't stay with her she might just be afraid of commitment.