By Anonymous - 05/05/2015 15:31 - Australia - Burwood

Today, I overheard my 14-year-old daughter telling her friend that she's saving money to get her hymen surgically removed so her first time won't hurt. FML
I agree, your life sucks 33 504
You deserved it 3 726

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Because the surgery won't hurt afterwards...

Time to have the talk with your daughter... And if that doesn't work, tell her that all surgeries like that require the doctors to get permission from parents no matter the age, and that she's going to have to wait for some years to come until she came have her first time.

Comments

I'll be honest, I never knew you could get that surgically removed O_o welp, learn something new today!

I'm fourteen. Let me tell you: everyone knows how it works at my age. Lots of people don't plan on having sex in middle school, but we all know how it works. We know from the Internet and from other people's explanations. If you don't know how sex works in middle school it's really awkward for you. That's all I'm saying. We had to watch videos about it in fourth and fifth grade. Now we just look at nasty pictures of STDs. At least the guys who explain that stuff are really funny and nice at our school.

On the bright side, at least she's still a virgin at 14. I guess nowadays you should be grateful for that.

it's still gonna hurt. my hymen accidentally popped thanks to a tampon, but sex still hurt the first time

That's because the pain is usually associated with being too nervous to become sufficiently aroused (tense muscles).

caterinette 12

Following your train of thought and assuming (correct me if I'm wrong) your daughter is still a young child, answer me this: what would you do if she turned out to be an early bloomer, starting her period at age 9 or 10? Would you wait until she's 15 to have the talk because, as you put it, a child shouldn't know that much about sex?

First times rarely hurt if it's when you're an adult. Too many children boning.

Fourteen may not be a great time to start having sex, but there is NO reason not to talk about sex with your child well before 14. Or you'll end up with an adult like my roommate, whom I had to explain sex to when we were seventeen and who barely trusts or listens to her mother because her mother didn't tell her these things when she was supposed to. I really don't like the argument that teen sex wouldn't be happening if it wasn't so talked about, either. If we talked about it more, we could dissolve more myths that teens believe, such as the pullout method being effective or that you can only get pregnant certain days of the month. More education could only be a good thing.

119 is right, there are so many people believing the 'pullout method' works. And the others are right too, in the past if you had your period you were arranged to marry and start having children. Then it went to hiding or shaming the girls who got pregnant. There's never been a time when teens didn't have sex.

Um........ At least she thinks ahead?