By AverageDeskJoe - 03/05/2016 20:43 - United States - Baton Rouge

Today, I met with my boss hoping to hear about a possible raise that had been promised many months ago. He then told me that the only way I would get a raise was if I found a better paying job and took it, and that the company was in no position to offer anyone a raise. FML
I agree, your life sucks 12 424
You deserved it 1 212

Same thing different taste

Top comments

I once was offered a bonus if I put in some overtime on a work assignment. So I did and they paid. Ok, come the end of the year at the normal bonus time, I was told I had already gotten a bonus.

Mathalamus 24

hm. sounds like the company is in dire straights, then, if it cant afford to give anyone a raise.

Comments

amccaul1976 8

I have to say it's great advice. look for a job while you have one. Easier to find work that way. when you find that better job and they ask why you're leaving, just say if you can afford to give raises that tells me all I needed to know about the viability and financial health of this company. Nothing to see here move along.

"Possible" and "promise" don't really go together.

Hello my fellow Louisianian!!!! I feel your pain. Just imagine being a teacher and not finding a place to be hired. So how about that new Governor...?

GabbyPLluch88 13

why would you even offer something you can't afford to?

If you have any proof of him promising this so-called "raise" I'd take it to HR.

Chances are, if the boss was the one making the pseudo-offer, then retracting his statement, there is no HR department. This sort of thing tends to happen more in smaller companies. LArger companies often have set guidelines as to how and when raises will be made. That being said, sorry to hear OP, good luck and keep your eyes open for opportunity elsewhere.

Madluv 2

same here not in the budget. i work for a private company the owner just bought 3 new cars this week. i see my raise is in his pocket.